LL-L "Resources" 2002.04.19 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 18:40:05 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.APR.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Folks,

I had BCC'ed Caoimhín Ó Donnaíle on two of my postings ("Scots" and
"Resources" of today), and he kindly responded right away.  Below please
find relevant excerpts.

As for Caoimhín's reference to Frisian varieties, here is how most
people divide it up in groups, with the native names to go with them (as
found at
http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/frisian_offline.htm):

FRISIAN

WEST (Netherlands):
   Frysk (Westerlauwer ["West"] Frisian)*

EAST (Germany):
   Seeltersk (Sater(land) Frisian)

NORTH (Germany):
   Continental North Frisian
      Frasch (Mooring North Frisian)
      Freesch & Fräisch (Nordergoesharde North Frisian)
      Freesk & Friisk (Tideflats North Frisian)
   Insular North Frisian
      Halunder (Heligoland North Frisian)
      Öömrang (Amrum North Frisian)
      Fering (Föhr North Frisian)
      Söl'ring (Sylt North Frisian)

* "West Frisian" is used only outside the Netherlands.  Within the
Netherlands, "West Frisian" refers to certain Dutch varieties with
Frisian substrates.

I am BCC'ing Caoimhín on this also.

Best regards,
Reinhard/Ron

***

Ron,

> > As far as I know, it is _Beurla Ghallda_ or _Beurla Leathann_.
_Beurla_
> > nowadays refers to English, other derivations being _beurlachd_
> > 'anglicism', _Beurla Bhunaiteach_ 'Basic English' and _Beurla
Albannach_
> > 'Scottish English'.  Originally it appears to have been a general term
> > for Germanic speech.  _Beurla Ghallda_ for Scots literally means
> > "alien/strange Beurla" (_gallda_ 'strange'), and _Beurla Leathann_
> > literally means "broad English" (probably based on the name "broad
> > Scots").  _Beurla_ appears to have once denoted 'language' generally
in
> > Irish, derived from Old Irish _b?e_, based on _b? 'mouth' with the
> > ancient nominal derivative suffix _-re_, and later lr > rl metathesis
> > applied.  Compare also Manx _Baarlagh_ 'English'.

This tallies well with what I have read and heard.  "Beurla Ghallda"
is the most common term for Scots in Gaelic.  Some people use "Albais"
(from Alba - Scotland), but other people don't think it is suitable.

I think "Beurla Ghallda" comes from the fact that it is the
speech of "Galltachd" na h-Alba, the lowlands/south of Scotland,
where the Gaill, non-Highlanders, live, as opposed to the
"Gaidhealtachd", the Highlands, where the Gaidheil, the Gaels, live.

I guess like you that "Beurla Leathann" is based on the term
"Broad Scots".

***

Ron,

> A couple of you might like to get in touch with Caoimhín Ó Donnaíle
> (caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk) - and I am BCC'ing him - with regard to
> Limburgish and Zeelandic.  Currently he lists Limburgish under "German
> dialects" in the Gaelic version (Gearmailtis a'mheadhain), apparently
> not at all in the English version, and he does not list Zeelandic
> (Zeêuws)/Western Flemish at all.  I should think he would appreciate
> your input.
>
> Please see also the following relevant pages:
> http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/links_limburgs.html
> http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/links_zeeuws.html
>
> Not to forget our own Mathieu van Woerkom's excellent resource page:
> "Taal in Nederland" (Language in the Netherlands):
> http://streektaal.cjb.net/

Thanks very much for passing on information on my European Minority
Languages page, and for these links.  Yes, all information and
suggestions will be very much appreciated.

You'll see that I have been doing a major tidy-up of the page.
It now uses style-sheets to produce boxes, and I think it is
a lot clearer (although the boxes don't work on old browsers
like Netscape 4.7).  I have aligned it much more closely with
the Ethnologue and introduced lots more links to the Ethnologue.

I realize that this has disadvantages as well as advantages.
Even though the new edition of the Ethnologue is now online,
hopefully imporoved, and with more "dialects" promoted to
languages I notice, there will no doubt be dialects which do
not fit well into the Ethnologues division of things.  And the
Ethnologue might even be plain wrong in places.  Still, I would
prefer to shoehorn dialects into the nearest language recognised
by the Ethnologue if at all possible.  I'll certainly
create subdivisions where appropriate, as I did for Serbian, Croation,
Walon, and Ulster Scots, for example, and entries in the alphabetical
index.  And there's always the next edition of the Ethnologue to look
forward to in another two or three years time.

With the groundwork done on the new layout, and a revision of the
romance languages just complete, I am ready to return to the Germanic
languages.  I left Limburgish in limbo last go because even after
looking back at the old messages I couldn't decide for sure
where to put it in the Ethnologue classification.  Since then,
the new Ethnologue has come online so things might have got easier.
If you can decide for me, I'll be happy to accept your judgement.

I see that with the new Ethnologue I now have a lot more dialects of
Frisian to find links for, and to give indigenous names to.  Any
advice will be very gratefully received!