LL-L "Resources" 2002.04.19 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 22:29:39 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.APR.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Mathieu. van Woerkom" <Mathieu.vanWoerkom at student.kun.nl>
Subject: Resources

CRon wrote:

> > By the way, Caoimhín, you can also get a short introduction on the >
> regional
> > languages of the Netherlands at http://www.eblul.org/wow . At least
> they > are up
> > to date with their language information :-) .
>
> Slowly though that mill grinds, too!  At least some of its wheels, like
> the committee for Germany.  Well, now they are listing "Low German" on
> the page for Germany, only about three years after I started pestering
> them about it.  But guess what!  The entry contains zero information,
> let alone a reference to its relationship to "Low Saxon" under
> "Netherlands" I requested.  And ... no Frisian, no Romani and Sinte!
> What's up with that?!

Oh, sorry...I meant the part of the Netherlands, that's okay now.
The person I e-mailed with, mr. Bertrand Romain Menciassi
(bertrand at eblul.org)
was very helpful, so maybe if you e-mail him information about Low Saxon
it's
on the internet within a week. But you never know...
He told me, though, that for having a language accepted, it had to be
checked
and approved by a certain committee (that's why Limburgish is still not
mentioned under 'Belgium'), maybe that's what's slowing things down.
Anyhow, if you have the information on Low Saxon in Germany at hand
(numerical
strenght, status, media etc.) you can e-mail it to him, and I'm sure he
will
put it on the website. When I provided information on Limburgish in
English, a
French translation was available within a week, so not everything is
thát bad...

PS: a nice website for people interested in Dutch and language policy in
the
Netherlands in general: http://www.taalpost.nl

Regards,
Mathieu

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Mathieu (and sorry about misspelling your name earlier).

Been there.  Done that.  Though it has been some time since I did.  I
was told it was all up to the German committee, and the Germany
committee said it would consider it when I contacted it ... and here we
are about three years and several reminders later.  Perhaps their setup
has changed in the meantime.