LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.20 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 20 19:00:16 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.APR.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.19 (11) [E]

And, here in Pennsylvania in the USA, I've watched my own Deitsch
("Pennsylvania Dutch") language go from a living, vibrant everyday
language to near oblivion in my lifetime.  Although the origins of the
demise were cast by German-hating WEoodrow Wilson (during WWI, he
discouraged the use of German in churches and schools as "unpatriotic"),
it was an active language when I was a boy.  Then no one hated us or our
language.  Rather we were "accepted" out of our language because it was
necessary to speak English, and not necessary to speak Deitsch.  It has
been dying from disuse and neglect, not from any concerted effort to
destroy it.  It is now used mostly by the Anabaptist ("Plain People")
sects amongst themselves.  The majority of us Pennsylvania Dutchmen
(Lutherans and Reformests) have simply abandoned it.