LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.25 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 14:54:37 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.APR.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Browne, Kevin at Astronaut" <BrowneK at brevard.k12.fl.us>
Subject: orthography

Hello Lowlanders,

Erek Gass wrote:
Thus, the North American "dialects" and the English
"dialects" of the English language are mutually understandable (yes,
pronunciations can make it difficult, but certainl;y not impossible with
patience).

Although that is true for the most part, any Englishmen or American can
tell you that we don't understand each other all of the time and
sometimes would probably end up sounding like the two on the boat
(Iceland/Faroese).

Sometimes when an Englishmen is speaking very quickly and uses words
like:
fag, jacket potato, pissed, etc. I can "lose" them. It's not only in the
way we spell words like neighbour/neighbor, etc. The idioms quite
frequently are different. So, do I speak American or do I speak an
American dialect of English? Just curious.

Kevin Browne

From: Edwin Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.24 (07) [E/LS]