LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.25 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 15:39:49 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.APR.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "W!M" <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.24 (07) [E/LS]

Hi

Sounds like Maastricht (Limburg ) to me. (Southern Netherlands Europe.

Wim verdoold
wkv at home.nl

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Wim,

Actually, it is Mennonite Low Saxon (Low German), a.k.a. "Plautdietsch,"
as Ed and Reuben already mentioned.  I knew this right away (which is
why I maked Pamela's posting as [E/LS]), but I wanted to unlurk our
Plautdietschers.  :)

Those language varieties are based on "West Prussian" dialects of Low
Saxon (now of the area of Northern Poland) and may be their last
surviving varieties.  They have Slavic and Baltic substrates and more
than the usual share of German influences.  On top of it, there are
apparently old Dutch and Frisian remnants, hailing from the time
Mennonites had to flee eastward from persecution in the Netherlands.
Ukrainian and Russian loans were added to it later, including originally
Turkic and Iranian loans via these (e.g., _Bockelzhon_ 'tomato' <
Russian _baklazhan_ 'eggplant', probably from an Iranian language via
Tatar).  Many Mennonites later emigrated from Ukraine, Siberia and
Central Asia to the Americas, and their dialects absorbed English,
Spanish and Portugese loans as well.

We are fortunate to have several speakers of "Plautdietsch" on this
list.

Cheers!