LL-L "Etymology" 2002.04.26 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 26 15:10:39 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.APR.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Aviad Stier" <aviad2001 at hotmail.com>
Subject: etymology

Hi Everyone!
The German word 'Geck' or 'Jeck' got into Hebrew in the thirties as
"yeke",
which was a sometimes-derogatory term for a German-Jewish immigrant.
Nowadays it's also commonly used as a mildly-derogatory term for someone
who's fastidious, punctual, humorless etc., characteristics which are
stereotypical to Germans and are generally sneered at by Israelis.
Aviad Stier
Brussels