LL-L "Etymology" 2002.04.27 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 27 23:24:04 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.APR.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "John M. Tait" <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.04.26 (03) [E]

Old Stig wrote:

>I am the happy owner of Elof Hellquist's "Svensk Etymologisk Ordbok"
>(1922)
>which is rather more informative than any Danish etymological dictionary
>know of, and he is not in doubt that "kviga" is a version of "cow", and
>mentions nothing of any connection to "kvinna" ("queen").

Shetlandic _whaig_ [We:g], [kwek], has the same meaning (Eng. _heifer_)
as does Scots _quey_, _quoi_, from Middle English _quy_. CSD seems to
imply that the Shetland form is derived from a Scots diminutive form
_quey-ock_; but, as these forms occur only in Shetland, Orkney and
Caithness, derivation from Old Norse _kvi/ga_ seems at least equally
likely. Though diminutives ending in [g] rather than [k] occur in
Caithness, this would be very irregular in Shetlandic.

John M. Tait.

----------

From: "Andy Eagle" <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.04.27 (01) [D/E]

Colin Wilson wrote

> In Scots, we distinguish between "queen" which means the same
> as in English, and "quine" which means girl, although it's fairly
> well known that the two are connected etymologically.
>
> In the 1970s, the comedian Steven Robertson used to do a monologue
> which took the form of his "end" of a supposed telephone conversation
> with Queen Elizabeth. It drew gales of laughter when he addressed her
> as "quine".

The spelling 'quine' represents the north east Scots pronunciation. The
word
was wide spread across lowland Scotland and was often written 'quean'
/kwin,
kwen/ depending on dialect. The word now just tends to be associated
with
north east Scots.
Queen, as Colin says is the same as in English.

Andy Eagle