LL-L "Jargons" 2002.04.30 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 30 23:34:32 UTC 2002

S======================================================================
 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.APR.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Jargons" 2002.04.30 (06) [E]

on 1/5/02 8:54, Nigel Smith [ intexta web services ]"
<RNigelSmith at hotmail.com> wrote re
Subject: Scots Rhyming Slang

> Are ye corned beef? I said sit doon on yer chorus and we'll have a wee
> Salvador. Mine's a Mick Jagger by the way.
> The Scots tongue, already incomprehensible to many south of the border,
> is about to become even more abstruse with the emergence of anew form of
> Scottish rhyming slang.

Actually this particular bit of rhyming slang is far from new. Edinburgh
school children including me used this one just after WW2. Another of
the
same period was 'He's George Raft' meaning daft. It is great to see the
Guid Scoats tongue coming into favour in its own land. I still recall
being given the tawse for saying 'Aye' in class. Even our parents would
thump us for talking common.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."