LL-L "Help needed" 2002.07.31 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 1 04:23:59 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.JUL.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>

From: "meyrick" <meyrick at wh3rd.net>
Subject: legal question in relation to "is advertising speaking your
   language"

Greetings to everyone on Lowlands – L,

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone
who contributed translations of the phrase “Is advertising speaking
your language”. This project is not about some sort of linguistic “big
three” composed of Chinese, Russian and Spanish, but rather
the focus should be on all languages. Translations into Germanic
languages (that, I admit, I was largely ignorant of) have given this
project a depth that it could not have otherwise attained. Therefore, a
general “thank you very much” is certainly in order.

Secondly, in response to Ron’s legal question:

“If your public art project happens to be construed as vandalism, are we
going to be liable as
accomplices according to the laws/statutes of Victoria and/or
Melbourne?”

I have done my best to check this up among friends who are studying law
and know far more about these things than I do. The
general consensus seems to be that vandalism is defined as “destruction
of public property”. As such, if the translations were to be
written in (for example) an indelible pen the work could be construed as
graffiti and thus vandalism. However, as I intend to put up the
work in the form of stickers, it would be difficult to see exactly how
this activity destroys public property. Ironically, it’s more like a
form of advertising than vandalism as it is traditionally seen.

The same friends tell me that even if the project was to be seen as
vandalism, there is no likelihood that people who helped in simply
providing translations could be seen as accomplices to the act of
vandalism itself.

I hope this answers your question adequately.

Regards,

Meyrick Payne