LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.01 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Aug 3 22:54:19 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.AUG.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language Varieties

Dear All

Thought I'd just add a couple more features of Berlin
that are LS flavoured. day = daach, diminutive of -ken
and there's a mixing of accusative and dative
(apparently this causes great difficulties in schools
when children are meant to be writing Hochdeutsch).
Apparently it has lots of Yiddish, French (Huguenot)
and Dutch loans from various waves of immigrants over
the years (sorry, I can't give examples at the mo).
I've also noted that the former 'Ossies' tend to have
more of these typical Berlin features than the former
'Wessies'. But please also note I'm now not claiming
that it's LS!!

Gary

----------

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.02 (06) [E]

Very little is left of either language (that of Zetland or Orkney).
There are books available which have brought together such information
as is available (coincidently, I just ordered them from a bookstore in
Orkney).  I will try and look them up again this afternoon (I'm at work
and don't have the information at hand, but can get it).  I will also
include the sites of which I'm familiar currently on the web.

(I'm doing this on the presumption that this is within the rules or is
an allowable exception -- the obsolete languages of these islands were
North Germanic and are closer in all aspects to Old Norse than to
tongues of the Lowlands.)

Erek Gass

----------

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>

As I promised, here is a list of websites additional to those Ron has
already supplied.  I hope that they are helpful.

www.verbix.com
www.verbix.com/document.norn.htm
www.orkneyjar.com/orkney/norn_scott.htm
www.addall.com/Browse/Detail/0404175546.html
    ("Etymological Dictionary of the Norn Language in Shetland" -- very
pricey at $165 plus S&H)
www.vikingnewmedia.com/~bookshop/acatalog/Orcadian_Bookshop_The_Norn_Language_of_Orkney
and _Shetland_34.html
www.vikingnewmedia.com/~bookshop/acatalog/Orcadian_Bookshop_The_Orkney_Dictionary_108.html

Also, what APPEAR to be sites regarding the modern Shetlandic tongue (I
haven't checked these out):

www.geocities.com/jmtait/zet/noframes.htm
www.orkney.com/orkney/dialect/index.html

I apologise if, by sending these I've strayed from the site's designated
purpose (Lowlands Germanic) -- I'm presuming that the interest stems
from the possible influence these extinct Nordic languages had on the
modern Lowland dialects.

----------

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language policies" 2002.07.30 (01) [E]

All the arguments and comments made are certainly on target.  I'd like
point out that one of the issues associated with writing a thesis or
dissertation (or any other paper or tome for which a geographically wide
and diverse audience is sought) in a PERFECTLY GOOD, but little studied,
language is simply that the information will not be disseminated as well
or as quickly as it might have been had it been written in a "standard"
language.  This situaltion is hardly new.  Scholars universally wrote in
Latin through the seventeenth century and knowledge of Latin was
EXPECTED of educated persons.  You may recall that John Milton's great
service to his government was being the Latin Secretary to Oliver
Cromwell, and it was through Latin that diplomatic AND academic AND
religious communication was carried on throughout Europe.  Before
Cromwell made England a nation to be reckoned with, who was going to
spend time learning the language of a island that was all but a
backwater as far as central European prices were concerned?  The
Catholic Church used Latin for its masses till recently for
consistency.  Isaac Newton's Principia was written in Latin so that it
would be universally received and read.

It has become a requirement of PhD candidates to have a working
knowledge of two other languages primarily because there is no longer a
"Lingua Franca" as there used to be.  And the languages encouraged are
usually those most applicable to the subject matter (e.g., engineers
tend to favour learning German).

All languages are equal.  But it isn't practical to treat all languages
as exactly applicable in every context.