LL-L "Resources" 2002.08.05 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 5 21:01:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.AUG.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>

Comments on two books ("The Norn Language of Orkney and Shetland" and
"The Orkney Dictionary").

Recently, I had noted that I'd sent for the above books.  I'd like to
pass along some information (the bookstore sent them by aeromail and I
got them within days!).

The Orkney Dictionary ("second edition, 2001) contains 78 pages Orkney
to English and provides detailed definitions.  The 22-page English to
Orkney is considerably more compact (it is transparently written for the
benefit of those seeking to learn the Orkney "dialect").  It also has
short, but helpful, pronunciation guide, history, grammar, and speller.
For 10 pounds British, it seems like a book a student of Orcadian will
want to have.

The Norn language book is more about the documentation of the language
than a presentation of the language itself.  The available texts are
presented, and there is cryptic page and half (30-31) about the language
mostly demonstrating how it retains it Germanic (more particularly Old
West Norse characteristics).  From what I've seen of the texts, a
knowledge of Old Norse is the best key to reading the documents.  On
pages 28-30, there is an exposition of Norn traces in the modern
languages.  Those of us interested in Norse probably will find the 10
pounds British worth spending.  Thse principally interested in the
modern tongues may not find the book as valuable.

Or so goes my review, anyway.

Erek