LL-L "Resources" 2002.08.16 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 16 19:22:09 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.AUG.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l>

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear All

This coming Monday, I will be paying a visit to
Hamburg (it was planned a while back before the
floods, so hopefully I won't be needing my
water-wings). Does anyone know of a good book which
describes the Low Saxon specifically used in the
Hamburg area that would be available in bookshops
there? I'm particularly interested in phonetics, and
not as interested in dialectal words. I know there are
many humourous books on the Hamburg dialect, but these
are usually not of much help. I have books on other
varieties of Low Saxon, so I'm looking for a
specifically Hamburg book. Also does anyone have an
address of a bookshop in Hamburg that has a decent
selection of Low Saxon books? (If this would be
classed as advertising and so not really what this
list is about, then if you could contact me personally
it would be much appreciated.)

Thanks in advance

Gary
gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Oy, Gary!

Below is my recommendation (to start with?).  Hope you'll get it before
your departure.  So you have booked a flight on a float plane, I take
it.  Yes, you'd better take your rubber boots with you, or "gum boots"
as you might say.  One of my sisters told me that they even had flood
alarm twice in her town in the northern part of the Lunenburg Heath, a
good distance south of Hamburg in Lower Saxony, on supposedly
well-elevated sandy soil!  Now, that's serious.

For your purposes I'd recommend the following:

Marianne Kloock & Ingo Viechelmann, _Uns plattdüütsch Spraakbook :
   Texte to'n Sülvstlehren dörch Lesen, Snacken un Schrieben mit
   Grammatik : op hooch- un nedderdüütsch | auf hoch- und
   niederdeutsch_,
   Hamburg: Helmut Buske Verlag, 1989, ISBN 3-87118-907-3.
   Revised edition 1996: 190 pp. ISBN 3-87548-134-8, hardbound,
   Euro 16.80;
   cassette 70 min. ISBN 3-87118-908-1. Euro 19.80

It's not fantastic (what is?) but (1) it's usable for people like you
(who know what they want and what they are doing), (2) it takes the
language seriously, (3) it is predominantly Hamburg dialect (bearing in
mind that Hamburg has several dialects), (4) it is strictly side-by-side
"Low/High" (yes, even the theoretical parts), and (5) it comes with an
audio cassette (Kloock: Hamburg, Viechelmann: Aumühle = marginally
Hamburg/Holstein).

During my last visit home I noticed that most Hamburg bookstores don't
carry this book (too "serious," I suppose), and ordering it through them
may take too long. I suggest you pay a visit to the publisher's store,
which is a total blast anyway, because they publishe some really cool
language books:

   Helmut Buske Verlag
   Richardstr. 47
   D-22081 Hamburg
   Postfach 76 02 44
   D-22052 Hamburg
   Germany
   Tel. 040-29 99 58-0
   Fax 040-29 99 58-20
   info at buske.de
   http://www.buske.de/

Worth a visit is this one also:

   Quickborn-Verlag
   Alter Postweg 21
   D-21075 Hamburg
   Germany
   Tel.: 040 77 81 31
   Fax: 040 77 35 83
   info at quickborn-ev.de
   http://www.quickborn-ev.de/

To listen to the language, you might like to try getting a ticket here:

   Ohnsorg-Theater
   Große Bleichen 23-25
   D-20354 Hamborg/Hamburg
   Germany
   Tel.: 040-350803
   Fax: 040-350803 43
   Email: info at ohnsorg.de
   Web: http://www.ohnsorg.de/

They seem to be performing these comedies right now: "Keen Utkamen mit
dat Inkamen", "Lachen mit Bauer Piepenbrink", and/or "Jenny ehr Rezept"
- probably none of them exactly Shakespeare, but, hey, you're there for
the language, aren't you.  ;)

Have a great trip, Gary, and say "Hummel, Hummel!" to Old Hamborg for
me (and be prepared for the obligatory response!).  Please write to me
if you need any non-language-related tips, telling me what type of
things you'd be interested in.

Cheers!