LL-L "Language contacts" 2002.08.16 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Aug 17 03:46:38 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.AUG.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l>

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2002.08.15 (04) [E/LS]

Good examples in American English of matters referred to severally here
are

"woodchuck" (Algonquin) side by side with English "ground hog".
Ditto,
wapiti vs elk.
skunk vs polecat.
pipsisiwa vs cureall.

We've retained all of these words, most (at least locally here in PA)
understand both versions, and we tend to make use of one or the other on
a personal preference or local area preference while retaining an
understanding if we meet the other word.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language contacts

In Mennonite Lowlands Saxon (Plautdietsch), there is an interesting case
where this sort of borrowing went "wrong."  The word for 'tomato' is
_Bockelzhonn_ (with stress on the last syllable).  Clearly, this word
was borrowed after the Mennonite forebears (who were of predominantly
Dutch, Frisian and Lowlands Saxon descent) left their home at the
Vistula Delta in today's Northern Poland for Russia and the Ukraine.  In
Russian and Ukrainian (?), _baklazhan_ means 'eggplant' (= 'aubergine'),
and 'tomato' is either _tomat_ or (French _pomme d'or_ >) _pomidor_.

I suppose that _baklazhan_ is a Turkic loanword, probably Bashqort
(Bashkir) or Tatar _baklajan_, and it may ultimately go back to an
Iranian variety, though I am not sure of this.

(Note also Yiddish _patlezhan_ and Turkish _patlIcan_ for 'eggplant'.)

I used to assume that this was a mistake on the part of the Mennonite
newcomers, but I am no longer sure about this.  It could have been a
"mistake" in the loaning language variety.  Note 'eggplant' in Kurdish:
besides _baîncan_ (cf. Farsi _badenjân_), _temate reshe_, some sort of
'tomato', but I can't figure out what _reshe_ (assumedly an adjective)
means.  Who knows?

Question is "What is 'eggplant' in Plautdietsch?"  Well, I don't even
know what it "officially" is in Northern Saxon (Low German).  I would
just say _Aubergien_ [?ob3`'Zi:.n] based on German _Aubergine_
[?ob3`'Zi:n@] (< French _aubergine_).

Cheers,