LL-L "Language contacts" 2002.08.18 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 18 19:23:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.AUG.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l>

From: "John M. Tait" <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2002.08.14 (02) [E/German]

Helge wrote:

>I have checked John's web-site and I noticed that the
>word "forget" is "foryat" in Shetlandic, this sounds
>very much the Dutch "vergeet", Frisian dialects have a
>similar pronounciation. Is this pronounciation derived
>from the Scottish mainland or is it due to other
>influences ?

The form 'foryet' is a Scots form, which the Concise Scots Dictionary
cites as 'now Shetland.' The form 'foryat' is the preterite - meaning
'forgot' rather than 'forget' - and is the only part of this verb that
I'm familiar with - I have never heard (or indeed seen written) the
present tense 'foryet', and it is not listed in the Shetland Dictionary,
suggesting that this may be a defective verb of which only the preterite
survives. Even the 'foryat' form is not one I use in speech - I
associate it with people from other parts of Shetland. When speaking
Shetlandic I say 'forgit - forgot - forgotten' - in other words, the
English verb with a slight difference in pronunciation in the present
tense.

I assume Norn would have been something
>like Danish "gloemme", so it obviously is not of Norse
>origion. People on the Faroes told me that Sudhuroy,
>the most southern island of the Faroes, had a Frisian
>influence and there is a legend that once a bishop was
>murdered by one of the last pagans and this pagan was
>referred to be a Frisian. Is there possible a Frisian
>connection between Shetland and the Frisians as well ?

Not that I'm aware of. There is some linguistic influence from
continental Lowlands languages, referred to generically as 'Dutch',
though probably including Low Saxon speakers from Germany as well as
Dutch speakers from the Netherlands. The word 'stoer' (a small coin,
penny), for example.

John M. Tait.

http://www.wirhoose.co.uk