LL-L "Folklore" 2002.08.20 (12) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 20 20:24:29 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.AUG.2002 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net> Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore"

Living here in PA where "Belsnickling" USED to be common, I thought I'd
add memories of that tradition shared with me by older persons who
actually experienced it in York County.  The tradition was strong enough
that it was often included with Santa Claus in the "Dutch townships"
(those roughly west of today's route I-83 in southern York County, if
any of you want to look at a map) in the German/French/Swiss church
traditions (that is, Lutheran and Reformed).  I think that the German
Catholics included it their traditions also, but they were very few in
number in this area, and I've never spoken to any of them about it and
thus I'm reluctant to state their usage as a fact.

Curiously, the custom did spread into the adjoining "Irish townships"
(those east of I-83), and, I've actually heard more from them than from
the Deitsch!  There, the  was carried on completely secularly (that is,
outside of their churches -- I suspect because it really didn't coincide
with anything Presbyterian).  It was especially well remembered by
old-time residents of Stewartstown.

---------

From: RBlaustein at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2002.08.20 (08) [E]

Dear Lowlanders, Ron's comments re: the character of the Pelznickl and
the
mummery
associated with him inspired me to do a search on Belsnickling. I found
number of
sources, including a very concise yet detailed article published in the
Page
County (Virginia) News & Courier on 13 September 2001:

Belsnickling – when dressing in costumes wasn’t just for Halloween

<<Halloween isn’t even upon us yet and the latter 20th century
tradition of
Halloween AND Christmas decorations in the store is before us already.
So, in
the same spirit, I say, “why not?” – time for a story that does
justice to
both seasons that the retailers bring to us so early-on this time of the
year. And yes “Virginia,” this story does pertain to Page County and
the
Shenandoah Valley . . .

Sometime during the third quarter of the 20th century, an old custom
seemed
to fade away. Perhaps only few recall the name “Belsnickle,” but
there are
some – even here in Page – that might recall a time when, on
Christmas Eve
(not Halloween as some may think), some folks would dress in hideous
disguises and distribute nuts and cakes to naughty boys and girls. These
“gifts” were thrown upon the floor, but if a child were to try to
recover
them in the presence of the Belsnickler, the child would quickly receive
“whack” on the backside with a whip. In “Pennsylvania Germans of
the
Shenandoah Valley,” it was noted that this practice might even go well
beyond
just one evening, running for nearly two weeks, starting a week before
Christmas and continuing until New Year.

Seemingly a strange old custom, Belsnickling had roots in German
ancestry.
Belsnicklers usually traveled in groups – much like trick-or-treaters
of
contemporary times – from farm to farm, “making merriment as they
went, a
boisterous, noisy, and happy group.” Starting shortly after dark, the
practice would end long before midnight. While not welcome in all homes,
in
some instances, Belsnicklers were invited in, and after unmasking and
identifying themselves, were rewarded with refreshments of doughnuts,
mol
asses cakes, coffee, lemonade, or cider.

Early on, costumes were typically made from stockings and burlap or
paper
bags. In many cases, people used charcoal to blacken their faces – the
ultimate goal being to disguise yourself enough as to prevent
identification.
In time, the art of creativity in costumes, much like the changes in
Halloween today, seemed to fade away and was replaced by costumes and
masks
manufactured and sold at various retail stores.

Another practice similar to Belsnickling was “Kris Kringling.”

The roots of “Kris-Kringling” can be found in the original “St.
Nicholas the
gift-giver” who was superseded by a representation of the infant Jesus
(the
Christ child, or "Christkindlein"). Ultimately, both Belsnickling and
Kris-Kringling have common ties in the “Christkindlein” that
accompanied
Nicholas-like figures. In time, this person changed into a dwarf-like
helper
who wore furs (known as “Belsnickle” or "Pelznickel"). While the
Belsnickle
greeted awake children on Christmas Eve, the Christkindlein was credited
with
bringing gifts to children that slept – the same gifts that would be
found on
Christmas morning. In time, the word Christkindlein seemed to mutate
into
"Kris Kringle" and ultimately became the more recognized Santa Claus
that we
know today.

While Santa began to come into a more recognizable form around the 1840s
with
Clement Moore’s famous story and in the 1860s with caricatures by
Thomas
Nast, Belsnickling still existed – as I’ve mentioned – into the
20th
century. However, the fur-wearing Belsnickler also contributed one other
thing to Santa before all was said and done – ah yes, Santa does were
fur-trimmed red coat doesn’t he?! Who would have ever thought that a
custom
practiced right here in Page and the Valley contributed something to
that
jolly old fellow? >>

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/1850/PageHH/handh09-13-01.html

[Richard Blaustein]