LL-L "Folklore" 2002.08.20 (16) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 20 23:54:39 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.AUG.2002 (16) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net> Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: kcaldwell31 at comcast.net
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.08.20 (07) [E/LS]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Folklore
>
> Dear Lowlanders,
>
> This is "Folklore" with an "Etymology" crossover.
>
> <quote>
> BWCA
> (booka) A story collected by John Rhys in CELTIC FOLK LORE shows how
> close the connection can be between the Brownie and Boggart, or the
> _Bwca_ and _Bugan_....
> After that she never saw him again, but after two years they heard of
> him at a farm near Hafod ys Ynys, where he soon made great friends
with
> the servant girl, who fed him most delicately with constant snacks of
> bread and milk and played no unseemly pranks on him. She had one
fault,
> however, and that was curiosity. She kept on asking to be allowed to
see
> him and to be told his name - without succes. One night, however, she
> made him believe that she was going out after the men, and shut the
> door, but stayed inside herself. Bwca was spinning industriously at
the
> wheel, and as he span he sang: 'How she would laugh, did she know that
> Gwarwyn-A-Throt is my name.' 'Aha!' cried the maid, at the bottom of
the
> stairs, 'now I have your name, Gwarwyn-a-Throt!' At which he left the
> wheel standing, and she never saw him again.

Interesting similarity to the classic fairy tale "Rumplestiltskin",
which I've also seen as "Tom Tit Tot".

You also mentioned the word "kobold", and other have referred to
"Pelznickl".  Both "kobold" and "nickl" are connected with mining and
caves, being the origins of the names of the metals cobalt and nickel,
possibly because superstitious silver miners believed that demons were
responsible for planting metals that looked like silver, but weren't.

Kevin Caldwell