LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.25 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 25 18:51:52 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.AUG.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>

From: "Marco Evenhuis" <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.24 (03) [E]

Henno Brandsma wrote:

> It is very possible that Ingvaeonic was original in Zealand. The Swin
> was
> named as
> the boundary of the Frisian kingdom in the old law texts, so they were
> pretty close already. In North-Holland and to a lesser extend in
> South-Holland most of these traits are also found in conservative
> dialects.
> These areas used to be Frisian or spoke a language quite close to it.

I think that in this respect it would be usefull if
I add the Zeelandic data to that of both Henno
(Frisian) and Luc Hellinckx (West-Flemish):

> > 1) "snakken" (to talk) is also used in Western Flemish, but only when
> > somebody is snapping, "je moe zo ni snakn tegen mi"...besides, a glottal
> > stop is just as popular in Western Flemish as it is in Cockney, so
> > "sna'n"
> > does more justice to the pronounciation
>
> Eg North Frisian snaake (Wiedingharde, Mooring) = "reden".
> One can say eg. ik snaak Frasch..
> BTW this seems to common Germanic: Dutch snaak, snakken
> (Middle Dutch snacken = kletsen), Related to "snatch" in English,
> Old Norse snaka, Eng dialects: to snook (snuffelen).
> Old germanic *snôk-, *snak- meant something like Dutch "happen".
> The "talking" meaning is found much later.

_Snakke(n)_ in Zeelandic is used is the very same
way as Luc described it for West-Flemish: "Je moe
nie zô snakke op da joeng; 't ei je toch niks misdae?"
_Snakke(n)_ also means trying to bite: "Dien 'ond
snakte nae de guus" (That dog tried to bite the kids).

> > 2) the estuary of a river is also called "muide", just like "mouth" in
> > English, e.g. "Diksmuide", "de Muide" (north of Ghent), whereas
> > Brabantish
> > uses "mond(e)"
> >
> Yes, from *munth- in Germanic, where in Ingvaeonic the n disappeared
> and the u was lengthened to û. Occurs in Westerlauwer Frisian as
> -mou(we).
> In North Frisian "müs" still means mouth.

In Zeeland (but also in Holland) -muiden is
the more usual form: Arnemuiden (_Aeremuu_),
IJmuiden, etc.

> > 3) "compensatierekking" (stretching of a vowel because of a succeding
> > nasal
> > sound) has been active in the following examples :
> (Note that (2) provides another example)
>
> > "oes" or "uus" (WF), "us" (E) vs. "ons" (B), "uns" (G)
> Westerlauwer Frisian ús, North Frisian üs, Seelter Frisian uus.
>
> > "Goesevoorde" (WF place-name denoting a ford for geese), "Goes" (in
> > Zeeland)
> > vs. "gans" (B)
>
> WF goes, NF goos (WH), göis (Mo), gus (F-A, Hal) etc., SF gous.

Also very usual in Zeelandic; some dialects have _uus_,
others _oôs_ for the 1st person plural, while in others
the n actually can be heared: _oôns_, _ongs_
Note that in Zeelandic these forms are actually used in
the same way as in Afrikaans (1st.p.pl): "Oôs (ongs, ons,
uus, etc.) hè lekker gegete".

> > 4) the old word for a "meadow" (E) used to be "mede" or "meet", like in
> > "Meetkerke" (WF) or "Meetjesland", "made" (MLG);
>
> WF miede, Mooring mädj, SF mäid.

The same goes for Zeelandic: _mede_ used to mean
meadow, but nowadays _weie_ is used in stead.
_Mede_, _meet_, _meêt_ got two other meanings.
One is more specific then just a meadow: it is now a
meadow with a lot of bushes. On the other hand,
_meête_ also means a piece of land. "'k È nog een
paer meêtjes weie liggende achter den diek bie
Ritthem".

> > 5) the past/perfect participle was thoroughly reduced in the following
> > cases
> > "bleven", "komen", "vonden", "kregen" (WF), instead of "gebleven",
> > "gekomen", "gevonden", "gekregen"...other verbs were also truncated but
> > kept
> > an "e" or a "i" at the start : "imaeckt" (old WF), "elaten"
> > (French-Flanders)
> >
> This happens in all Frisian varieties as well.
> Eg WF bleaun, kommen, fûn, krige.

In most Zeelandic dialects, the usual prefix is e-:
emaekt, elaete, edae...

> > 6) Western Flemish has a tendency to use "-s" for the plural of a noun
> > in
> > contrast with Brabantish that prefers "-n"
> >
> Eg earms, ferienings in WF. (Dutch armen, verenigingen)

Zeêuws: aerms, kaolvers, aevens (evenings) and
many more...

> > 7) palatalisation of k (> ts) used to be quite productive in (WF),
> > judging
> > toponymic names like "Cimbarsaca" (815) > Semmerzake and "Bucingehem"
> > (996,
> > ~ Buckingham (E)) > Butsegem.
> >
> eg WF meitsje,reitsje, tsiis, tsjerke, tsjerne, tsjef...
> (Dutch maken, raken, kaas, kerk, karn, kaf)
>
> > 8) words like "pit", "dinne", "brigge" for "pit" (E), "thin" (E),
> > "bridge"
> > (E) were all once (or still) used in some part(s) of Western Belgium.
>
> WF prefers e mostly (but the same process of unrounding is at work),
> but Island North Frisian has i as well (originally).
> For WF: pet, tin, brêge (but brigge occurs in some dialects)

Zeêuws: pit, din (dinne), brigge, rik (Du. rug)...

regards,

Marco Evenhuis