LL-L "Etymology" 2002.08.27 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 27 20:33:38 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.AUG.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net> Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: <burgdal32 at mac.com>
Subject: LL-L "Nomads" 2002.08.24 (04) [E/S]

> From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
> Subject: "Nomads"
>
> This sounds very much like some of my ancestors of three or
> four generations back - the birth records show that they were
> farm workers and the birthplaces seem to range all over Fife
> and the Lothians.
>
> Most working class people (really working class - miners and
> farmers, not clerks and suchlike) in the Scottish Lowlands of
> two or three centuries ago lived in "cots", which were tiny
> one-roomed cottages with dirt floors, and they generally had
> large families, and possibly more than one family to a cot.
> Pencaitland, a village just to the south of us, was considered
> progressive because the local lady insisted on larger cots
> with two rooms.

Hello ,
I was struck by the word "cot" because this is a word that is well known
in
Flanders:
1 "een kot" = a one-room appartment for a student,rent by private
persons in
a city with a university (usually not very luxurious).
Even in the French speaking part  of Belgium they call this room "un
kot".
2 "een kot" (kotje-koten-kotereljen) is every bilding that people made
in
their garden or next to their house, etc...
some examples:
-kot (E: prison)
-hennekot (E hen-house)
-duivekot (Doesn't that word  exist in English either, something like
"dovecot") In Dutch it is duiventil
-kiekekot  kieken= E:chicken
-muzekot    muze = E: mouse
-krevelkot (a very poor looking building)
-orsekot   orse= E: horse
-ovenkot (to backe bread)
-peirdekot  peird= E: Horse
-prondelkot  prondel=rommel= E: rubbish
-roestekot  E: hen-house
-schettekot schette= E: wooden plank
-stampkot  stamp was a part of a mill
-vortekot  vort= E:rotten
-zwingelkot  zwingel= E: swingle
3 een kot in de beên' = somebody with o-legs

Groetjes
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene