LL-L "Morphology" 2002.08.31 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Aug 31 18:55:47 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.AUG.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>

From: "Daniel Prohaska" <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2002.08.30 (10) [S]

Dear Scots speakers, John and Sandy,

  Could you tell me how much alive a "thou"-form is in mainland Scots. I
know Shetland Scots has a "du"-form (I don`t know about Orkney).

  Your talking about -s endings in Scots and English got me thinking
about
the -s termination in the "thou" -form in Lancashire. My Grandfather who
was
a real Mancunian (of Irish descent) said stuff like: "Oh Dan, where `as
t@
bin?" (where have you been?). "tha knO:z"  (you know), "tha tO:ks a bit
brO:d@(-r)" (you talk a bit broader). "tha O:l at z ple:z in`t back ba:y`t
shedd" (you always play in the back by the shed).

But:
"kont" (can you; as a question tag)
"tha weur sE:in at dinner"

Negation:

"tha ka:nt `elp it"
"tha dunt bother much abeawt it"
"arent" (art thou not)

I doubt the -s forms are descended directly from OE -st since Northern
Middle E had many -s forms throughout the verbal paradigm. Are there
similar forms in Scots??