LL-L "Coinage" 2002.12.02 (02) [D/E/German]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Dec 2 05:50:22 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.DEC.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Marcel Bas <mrbas_26 at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language attitudes" 2002.11.29 (01) [E]

Dag Wim,

You wrote:

>Hollanders get very rude however when they come to the east of the
>country of the Netherlands, they refuse to learn eastern dialects, and
>tell us here in the east that our dialects are "hillbillyspeach...",
>well, I guess there is a difference between real guests, and
>countrymen...too bad..

I have always been fascinated by local speech, so when my parents went
living in Weststellingwerf (southern Friesland) I applied myself to the
mastering of both Friesian and Stellingwarfs. Apparently, this was so
unusual that I was invited by the local radio to explain why on earth I was
making these attempts to learn their local tongue...

I think people too often associate local speech with a lower social stratum
and they also seem to maintain the false conception of a dialect being a
'variety' of Dutch (whereas Dutch has, conversely, been shaped by Friesian
and Low Saxon (i.e. the languages of 'the east', as you mention)!

Groeten, Marcel.

Marcel Bas                         Voorschoten, Nederland
mrbas_26 at hotmail.com               E-post / E-mail
http://roepstem.tripod.com         Taal- en Cultuurwebstek

"So noodsaaklik soos die bloedsomloop vir die liggaam is, so noodsaaklik is
die sirkulasie van gedagtes vir n volk."  N.P. Van Wyk Louw in 'Liberale
Nasionalisme'.