LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.12.04 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 4 16:19:22 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.DEC.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Browne, Kevin at Astronaut <BrowneK at brevard.k12.fl.us>
Subject: the list

Hoi allemaal!

Ron wrote:
I would like everyone new to know and also to remind those who have been
with us longer that the flow and specific contents of questions and
information in this forum depend on the input of its subscribers.  A couple
of people signing off have stated as their reason that the information they
had sought had not been presented.  Too bad those people did not ask for
what they wanted, instead sat back passively hoping that their pet subjects
would magically appear if only they watched for a while.   Sorry. We are not
here to entertain you and read your minds.

Actually Ron, I don't think you need to defend yourself at this point. I
believe our current societal attitudes have a lot to do with people's
displeasure.
The world, unfortunately for me, does not revolve around me, me, me. You're
right.
If one never submits their "pet subjects," these topics will never be
discussed.
And if one does not get help on a particular topic, it may be because no one
on the list knows. Ah, if only I knew all. (Zwar weiss ich viel, doch möchte
ich alles wissen - a little Faust) I say, don't let our egos force you into
unnecessary apologies.

Kevin Browne

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Thanks for your support (above), Kevin, which is very much appreciated, as
is your enthusiasm and your preparedness to state what you don't know and
wish to know.  I also appreciate your efforts to pass on to your students
some of the knowledge you gain here.  Passing on our knowledge is one of our
missions, and a part of that is passing it "down" to the following
generations.  This is also one of the reasons why I am very, very delighted
that we have a lot of quite young people on this list, beginning somewhere
in the mid-teens (who have joined with their parents' or guardians'
permission).  This is also why I feel extremely pleased and encouraged to be
"surrounded" by a wonderful, enthusiastic, creative team working on our
project "Lowlands Talk" (http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/), with a good
number of rather young friends such as Mathieu van Woerkom (Netherlands),
Roman Laryushkin (Ukraine) and Reynaldo Pimentel Damy Castro (Brazil), to
name but a few.

This morning we have been joined by two new Lowlanders from the United
States, one from Rochester, New York, and one from Lawrence, Kansas.  Both
of them are interested especially in Low Saxon (Low German) as their
ancestral language.  I send them a friendly welcome and encourage them to
share their interests after familiarizing themselves with our basic rules
and guidelines (http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm).  It is wonderful to
see that there is a steady increase of the number of subscribers in the
Americas, Australia and New Zealand who wish to rediscover Lowlands Saxon
and other Lowlands languages that used to be used by their ancestors and in
their ancestral immigrant communities.

With best wishes for the festive season,