LL-L "Counting" 2002.12.04 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 4 16:30:11 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.DEC.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: y-waki at pf6.so-net.ne.jp <y-waki at pf6.so-net.ne.jp>
Subject: Counting

Dear friends,
When I read the following posting, I thought if I could find any similar
ocuting examples in a book
tilted "A TRASURY OF AMERICAN FOLKLORE" edited by B>A> Botkin Cronwn
Publishers New York 12th
Printing, July 1945.

Quote:
From: Kevin McAuliff <kevin_mcauliff at yahoo.com>
Subject: Shepherds Score

The Shepherds Score counting survived into the 20th century in Northwest
Georgia. A friend of mine from Whitfield County, now in his early 50's
recalls his grandmother's bouncing him on her lap saying: Een, teen, tether,
feather, sather, lather, have another dig, eeny dig, teeny dig, terry dig,
fairy dig, bumpsit, eeny bumpsit, teeny bumpsit, terry bumpsit, fairy
bumpsit, gidgit. (If my memory serves me.) A comparison with Welsh numbers
will confirm it's of some sort of Brythonic origin.

Unfortunately, he does not know where his grandmother learned it.

Kevin McAuliff
Unquote

I found examples as follows:
No. 1.
1. ane         6. sother     11. een dick
2. tane        7. lother      12. teen dick
3. tother     8. co.           13. tother dick
4. feather    9, deffrey   14. feather dck
5. fip          10. dick        15. bumfrey, and so on
No. 2.
1. een,       6. sother   11. een dick
2. teen       7. lother    12. teen dick
3. tuther     8. porter    13. tither dick
4. futher     9. dubber  14. futher dick
5. fip         10. dick       15. bumpit, and so on......

Also one more expamle was printed together with the above.
A footnote this attached:

These examples of the "Anglo-Cymric score"....were obtained .... from Mrs.
Ellis Allen of West
Newton, now ninety years old of age, who was born at Scituate, Mass, where
she learned the formula;
and ... of her daughter, who learned it from as Indian woman, Mary wolsomog,
of Notick. Though
mother and daughter, neither had ever heard the othr's version of ther
score. To illustrate the
relation of this score with Welsh numerals, we add two examples from Elli's
paper
("reprinted for private circulation from the Transactions of the
Philological Society for 1877-8-9"
pp. 316-372), selected from his fifty-three versions; the first is from
England , the second from
Ireland.

I have not any knowledge in this field, but I felt as if I had ever read
similar descriptions,
having read Kevin McAuliff's posting. So, I posted this mail. I hope that
I've not gone off the
point.

Yasuji Waki
y-waki at pf6.so-net.ne.jp