LL-L "Orthography" 2002.12.05 (03) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 5 15:47:11 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.DEC.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Andy (Scots-Online) andy at scots-online.org
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2002.12.03 (09) [S]

Ron Hahn spiert:
> Subject: Orthography
>
> Folk,
>
> A maun say A div lik the spellin "eu" insteid o "ui" (e.g., in "beuk"
versus
> "buik") fine. Gin A mynd richt, the conservative pronunciaition is [ø] (as
> in French _peu_, German _schön_ an Norwegian _kø_).  "Eu" is eesed
(yeused?
> yeesed?) for [ø] in French, the langages o the Netherlands an in Afrikaans
> an aw.

The follaein's taen staucht fae:
http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/spellguide.htm an is hou A deal wi
thae maiters.

The spelling <eu> represents the internal diphthong in words like beuk,
eneuch, teuch, neuk and heuch etc. This is pronounced either /ju/, /jV/ or
/V/ depending on dialect. (See also <ui> below.)

The spelling <ui> for the vowel sound in words like guid, ruif, tuim, spuin,
puir, juist and truith etc. This is pronounced /y(:)/ or /ø(:)/in
conservative dialects. In Northern dialects this is usually pronounced
/i(:)/ and /wi/ after /g/ and /k/. In Central dialects this is pronounced
/I/ when short and /e:/ when long. (See the Scots Vowel-Length Rule in
Phonetic Symbols).
Note uise and uiss are [je:z] and [jIs] in central dialects.
Many of these words have English cognates which are spelled <oo> as a result
some writers mistakenly spell some words with <ui> where, in fact, they
should be spelled <eu>. Before /k/ and /x/ the original vowel sound became
/ju/, /jV/ or /V/ depending on dialect. (See <eu> above.)
Note fit (foot), room, wid (wood) and oo (wool).

> What aboot/about "oo" or "ou"?  Is it aye "ou" noo/nou, Andy an Sandy?

The spelling <oo> is used for the vowel sound /u(:)/ in words like hoose,
aboot and soond in order to avoid confusing <ou> with the English
pronunciation.

The traditional Scots spelling <ou> for /u(:)/ is used in all other words
where confusion with the English pronunciation is unlikely. Many writers use
either <ou> or <oo> for this /u(:)/ sound in all words.

The digraph <ou> is always pronounced /u(:)/in Scots, except in Southern
Scots, when final, it is pronounced /Vu/.

The spelling <u(consonant)e> for the vowel sound /u(:)/ in words where the
spelling is established e.g. dule, bure, hure and wure etc.

> Will ye writ "eu" in aw cases, in "geud" an "ceud" an aw, where "guid" an
> "cuid"'s mair sitable for the byleids o the north ([gwid], [kwid])?  A see
> "guid" abeun in Andy's postin.

"eu" wadna be uised in 'guid' (good) at aw.
Some fowk writes the Scots cognates o 'could' an 'should' wi "ui". A dinna
gree wi thon acause the unnerlyin phonemes disna follae the paitrens for
ordinar associate wi "ui" as abuin. A juist uise the spellins 'coud' an
'shoud' the emphatic maik. Thare is o coorse the maik /kwId/ in the
North-East an the unemphatic /kId, kVd, SId, SVd/ no tae mention the aulder
sud/soud (should). "eu" wadna be onie better a spellin here aither acause o
the selsame unnerlyin phonemic paitrens.

Andy Eagle