LL-L "Names" 2002.12.06 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 6 15:40:15 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.DEC.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Dan Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2002.12.05

Candon McLean wrote:

<<While I can appreciate the attempt at inclusiveness by mentioning
Jewish and Islamic holidays, why is it that no attempts are made to
include other world religions, e.g. Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto,
Native American traditions, Wicca, Asatru, Druidism?>>

Candon Wheg,

You mentioned "Wicca". A couple of years ago I bumped into a couple of
Anglo-Saxon style Pagans and they kept speaking of the "wikka". Being
heavily involved in Old English studies at the time I told them that OE
<wicca> had a palatal double consonant and was most likely pronounced
something like "witcha" /witSa/. They laughed at me and that really
pissed me off. I then checked my favourite dictionary THE COLLINS and
found the phonetic transscription /wik@/ for this revived Old English
word. That pissed me off even more. I don`t know why this gets to me
like that, I`m not even a believer!!!

Gans oll ow holon vy,

Perplexed-at-his-own-reaction Dan