LL-L "Deaf culture" 2002.12.08 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Dec 8 12:24:46 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.DEC.2002 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Sandy,

Thanks for sharing you very interesting and informative introduction to deaf
culture.

This got me thinking ... (Uh-oh!)  It's not as though we don't have plenty
of projects already, but I would like you and others on the List to consider
the possibility of presenting a brief introduction to Lowlands-specific sign
language features, namely what the sign languages of the Lowlands share and
what is different between them, if a certain language also has a signing
equivalent, etc.  One could even give a few comparative examples with
illustrations!  Of course, this would require collaboration.  Much of the
material can probably be found on the Web.  I could and would help with
American sign equivalents at the very least, unless someone more
knowledgeable volunteered.

Oh, and I should mention that this would be a part of our evolving series
"Lowlands Talk" (http://www.lowlands-l.net), on which some of us are working
busily and could do with some help.  (Hint, hint!)

À propos "sign language" ... This leads me to ask if there are signing
equivalents for the languages that are "lower-ranking" (minority/regional)
or officially not recognized.  What about Scots?  Is there a general
Scottish (common English/Scots) sign language or two separate ones?  I don't
think there is a Lowlands Saxon (Low German) one, or that, if one did exist,
it is now lost, pushed out of the way by the Dutch and German sign
languages.