LL-L "Etymology" 2002.12.13 (03) [D/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 13 16:40:39 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.DEC.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: carmel bruggen <carmel221264 at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.12.08 (03) [D/E]

pink is in het limburgs ook een kalf van een jaar oud, volgens mij niet
alleen in het Limburgs, maar ook in het Nederlands

Marcel Grubben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Welkom bij Lowlands-L, Marcel!

Lowlanders, under "Folklore" I wrote about technics of inducing shamanist
altered states of consciousness, and among other:

>   - ingesting plants with halucinogenic properties (commonly herbs and
>      roots, also mushrooms [e.g., American peyote (_Lophophora
williamsii_)],
>      including mushrooms that would have lethal effects if taken in larger
>      quantities, in Europe especially the "magic mushroom," the red-capped
>      fly agaric [_Amanita muscaria_, German _Fliegenpilz_,
_Narrenschwamm_,
>      Dutch _vliegenzwam_, Danish  _rød fluesvamp_, Norwegian _rød
>      fluesopp_, Swedish _röd flugsvamp_, Finnish _punakärpässieni_,
>      Estonian _Punane käärbseseen_, Hungarian _Légyölő galóca_,
>      Polish _muchomor czerwony_, Russian _мухомор красный_,
>      Turkish _sinek mantarı_, Spanish _falsa oronja_, _agárico pintado_,
>      _oronja pintada_, _oronja matamoscas_, Portuguese _, Chinese æ¯’è …å‚˜,
>      Japanese ベニテングタケ])

Incidentally, the Lowlands Saxon (Low German) names for the mushroom are as
follows:

/fleig-n+stoul/ _fleygenstoul_ ~ _Flegenstohl_ ~ _Fleigenstauhl_ ("fly
stool")
/kreig-n+stoul/ _kreygenstoul_ ~ _Kregenstohl_ ~ _Kreigenstauhl_ ("? stool")
/pog-n+stoul/ _poggenstoul_ ~ _Poggenstohl_ ~ _Poggenstauhl_ ("toad stool")

I do not know the etymology of _Kregen..._.  Does anyone else?

_Poggenstohl_ ~ _Poggenstauhl_ is also a general word for 'mushroom', not
only of poisonous mushroom (cf. English "toadstool") but indeed of *any*
mushroom!  Is this not also the case in Scots, where _puddock-stuil_ means
both 'mushroom' and 'toadstool'?  Might "toadstool" also be the original
English word for both, while "mushroom" (< French _mousseron_) was
introduced especially for edible mushrooms?  Compare also Dutch _paddestoel_
and _zwam_, also W. Frisian _poddestoel_, for all types of mushrooms, a
poisonous one being marked (_vergiftige paddestoel_, cf. German _Giftpilz_,
LS _giftig Poggenstohl_ [_gift(ig)_ 'poison(ous)'], Plautdietsch _jeftje
Pilskje_ [_jeft(ich)_ 'poison(ous)']).

Best regards,