LL-L "Etymology" 2002.12.14 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Dec 14 20:08:11 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.DEC.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Theo Homan theohoman at yahoo.com
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.12.13 (03) [D/E]

> From: carmel bruggen <carmel221264 at hotmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.12.08 (03) [D/E]
>
> pink is in het limburgs ook een kalf van een jaar
> oud, volgens mij niet
> alleen in het Limburgs, maar ook in het Nederlands
>
> Marcel Grubben
> -------------

reactie van Theo Homan:

Ja, dat is mij bekend. Maar ik vermeldde het niet, om
niet te oeverloos te worden. Bij woorden van
onbekende afkomst [net als trouwens bij onderwerpen
als folklore en zo] sta je al gauw tot je borstkas in
het moeras.

Bij pink = kalf heb ik wel eens verzonnen [als ik dus
absoluut wil blijven bij pink = 5e vinger] dat je dan
zou kunnen denken aan iets als: pink/kalf is een
koebeest van 5 kwartalen oud.

Het nederlands heeft trouwens nogal wat woorden met
initiele p- waarvan de etymologie duister is.

vr. gr. Theo Homan

----------

From: Bil Hawkins <greatgoomph at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Measure words" 2002.12.13 (04) [E/Spanish]

It was very curious to see "mojones" [wet ones] as  a synonym for
"turds"...I teach blind children how to use a white cane and mostly in
Spanish, as living in Southern Arizona, many of my students are from Mexico
and speak little or no English.

I was writing "mojon/es" as "landmark" as it is listed in old dictionaries
as such. I was severely chastized as that not being a suitable word to use
on an educational plan. One of the old stories about that word is that when
the Spanish Fleet in the late 1500's wrecked off the coast of Ireland, the
survivors [the forebears of the BlackIrish] intermarried with the Gaelic
catholic folk on the West coast. The boundary markers [cairns] also looked
like turds to the Spanish and were called that by them. But remember that
the Gaelic 'Pog ma thon" [pronouned mojon] became related to backside, or
ass, or its product by metonomy. When Spanish filtered back to Spain a
generation or two later with the word, it slipped into the language.

I am sure "wet ones" is the more correct and authentic etiology but I've
always liked the "pog ma thon" story. They say here the only difference
between the Irish and the Mexican people are the booze: tequila vs
whiskey...the religion is the same, the colours of the flag are the
same...both have an antipathy to the English...

Funny story.