LL-L "Folklore" 2002.12.15 (02) [A/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Dec 15 21:45:01 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.DEC.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2002.12.14 (03) [A/E]

Hi all!

The similarities between Celtic and Germanic traditions and myths can stem
from as many as four  sources:
1. Celtic substrates in some areas
2. Common Indo-European origin eg the French river Indre - perhaps the same
as the Hindu God Indra?
Slavic ogni "fire" which they worshipped Sanskrit Hindu God Agni English
ignite etc.
3. Earlier common origin - so called "universals" somewhat contentious
4. Borrowing from a common outside source - e.g. Middle Eastern material
brought back by Crusaders a modern example is borrowing of words for new
technologies or agreed coining from classical Greek roots (although German
tries hard to coin based on German roots) certain words like "coffee"
spread world wide with the new substance - while the word was localised it
still seemed to be based on the Arabic root Gahwa/Qahwa (real Arabs -
Bedouins - voice the initial consonant). Mind you Chai is tea in English
(although chah is an ultra Brit rendering and tay is Anglo Irish. I can
only think of one language - Polish - which doesn't use the Chinese root
but calls tea "Herbata". The connection of reindeer with Christmas is
another modern case of common borrowing from an outside source - nothing to
do with substrates (or even Christianity for that matter)

Similarity does not always mean a substrate!
Cheers                  George

----------

From: RBlaustein at aol.com <RBlaustein at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2002.12.13 (01) [A/E]

Regarding the widespread distribution of St. Nicholas’ rough,
frightening companions, Dr.     Manfred Becker-Huberti  provides a extensive
though incomplete  list of their names and  locations::

    <<Bezeichnungen für die Figuren sind: Knecht Ruprecht (im gesamten
deutschsprachigen   Raum), Ascheklas, Bullerklas, Klas Bur (Westfalen,
Norddeutschland), Zwarter Piet,     Pietermann, Swarte Piet (Niederlande),
Pulterklas (Diethmarschen) Ruklas, Rupsack  (Mecklenburg) Hans Muff (= der
muffige Hans), Heiliger Mann, Düvel, Zink Muff, Zink Knatsch
(Niederrhein), Belzebub, Pelzebock (Eifel und Mosel), Pelzebub (Baden),
Pelznickel (Pfalz und   Saar), Butz (Schwaben), Rumpelklas (Allgäu),
Schmutzli, Düsseli (Schweiz), Semper, Klaubauf  (Bayern), Krampus
(Österreich), Schiachtperchten (Salzburger Land), Partl, Bartl (Kärnten,
Steiermark), Leutfresser (Ostalpen), Père Fouettard (Frankreich), Hans Trapp
(Pfalz), Biggesel,  Böser Klaus, Einspeiber, Gangerln, Kläuse, Klosen,
Busebrecht, Buzebercht, Kehraus,    Klausmänneken, Klausenpicker, Klombsack,
Spitzbartl, schwarz Käsperchen, Rollebuwe,  Battenmänner, Bullkater,
Dollochs, Erbsbär. Im Gurktal, Österreich, taucht der Nikolo mit dem
Spitzbartel auf, der in schwarzer Maske mit Kuhglocke und einer Bucklkraxn
(=
Kiepe)  erscheint.>>

    (Source, "Nikolaus- Begleiter" copyrighted  web page article by  Dr.
Manfred Becker-Huberti,     Köln
http://www.nikolaus-von-myra.de/brauchtum/nikolausbegleiter.html)

        Here is my content analysis  of Dr, Becker-Huberti’s list. Though
there are   numerous gaps here, nonetheless some interesting patterns
emerge:

Etymology and Distribution of Names of  St. Nicholas’ Harsh Companions

    Asche - =1 "ashes" + Klas (diminutive of Nicholas) (Westfalen,
Norddeutschland)
    Batten =  1 "beating"  +"manner "men"
    Bartl=2    " little beard"and/or "diminutive of Bartholemew" (Kärnten,
Steiermark),
    Belzebub 1 "Biblical Hebrew baal zebub "Lord of The Flies"  or  German
"Furry Lout     Pelze+bub ?
    Biggesel 1   ?
    -Bock   1     "he-goat" cognate of Eng. "buck" + Pelze- (fur, furry"
(Eifel und Mosel),
    Bõser         "bad, evil"
    -Bercht  1    "devil"
    -Brecht   1   "devil"
    -Bub     2      "lout, ruffian"
    Buwe   1 "louts, ruffians," or Buhe "bogeymen"?
    Bull- =1     "bull" +kater  "tom cat"
    Buller =1    ?
    Bur  1    =     "rough guy, bursche?
    Buse 1       "bad, evil"
    Buze 1         "bad, evil"
    Butz  1          "bogeyman" butzmann (Schwaben),
    Dollochs 1    "Stabber?"
    Düsseli    1   "Dopey, Stupid" (Schweiz),
    Düvel       1      "Devil"
    Einspeiber, 1   ?
        Erbsbar 1   "Hereditary Bear" or "Pea Bear"? (Gurktal, Österreich)
    Hans  =  2     "German nickname for Old Nick" + Muff  "Stink" and Trapp,
family name
;   of 16th century Palatine military officer who terrorized peasants,
becoming a  bogeyman    (Kinderschreck) and harsh companion of St.
Nicholas".
(Pfalz),
    Heiliger  1    "holy" + Mann "man"
    Gangerln    1 ?
    Kasperchen 1   "little Casper" :+ Schwartz- :"black"
    Kehraus 1    ?
    Klas =6     diminutive of Nicholas
    Klaubauf 1   ? (Bayern),
    Klaus=3         diminutive of Nicholas
        Klause  1    diminutive of  Nicholas
    Klosen 1         ? diminutive of Nicholas
    Klausenpicker   1 ?
    Klomb 1       ?   + Sack  "sack"
    Knatsch 1?      + Zink-
    Krampus  1  ? (Österreich),
    Leutfresser 1  "Cannibal – People-Eater" (Ostalpen)
    -männeken 1  "little man " +Klaus
    Muff  2        "Stink" (muffig"?)
    Nikolo 1      diminutive of Nicholas
    -nickel 1    "little devil, diminutive of Nicholas, Nick" + Pelz-
(Pfalz und Saar)
    Partl 1       "little beard" (Kärnten, Steiermark),
    Pelz, =    3   "fur, furry" (Eifel und Mosel,  Baden, Pfalz und Saar),
    Pelzebub 1   (Baden), 1 "Biblical Hebrew baal zebub "Lord of The Flies"
or  German "Furry   Lout"   Pelze+bub ?
    Perchten 1 "devils" + Schlacht- (fighting, beating)
    Pere Fouettard 1  "Father Beater" (France)
    -Precht 1    "devil" + Ru- raue  "raw, harsh" (found in all
German-speaking lands).
    Pulter 1      "noisy, rowdy" polter" + -Klas  (Diethmarschen)
    Rollebuwe 1 "Rolling Knavea" rolle+bube" or Roving Bogeymen "Relle-Buhe?
Ru -    1       "raw, harsh raue"+ Klas (Mecklenburg)
    Rumpel   1  "rumbling") + Klas  (Allgäu)
    Rup     1   "grumpy" + sack  "sack, bag" (Mecklenburg)
    Ruprecht   "raw, harsh"+ "devil" + Knecht (farmhand, servant) (found in
all German-speaking     lands)
    - Sack    2    "sack"    Rup- "grumpy " and klomb ?
    Schiacht- 1 "beating, fighting" +perchten :"devils" (Salzburger Land),
    Schmutzli,  1 "flithy, dirty" (Schweiz),
    Schwartz   1  :"black" + Kasperin  "Little Black Casper"
    Semper  1      ?
    Spitzbartel     "short beard  - "goatee"
    Zink   2          "saint sankt  ?" + Muff stink? and Knatsch ?
(Niederrhein)
    Zwarte Piet, 1 "Black +Pete"( Swarte Piet, Pietermann)  (Niederlande)

    What do these characters share in common? A detailed composite portrait
of St. Nicholas’ rough, demonic companions emerges from listing their most
common names and characteristics in order of frequency:

Major  Attributes of St. Nicholas’ Harsh Companions

    Diminutive of Nicholas 12 (nickel 1 Pfalz und Saar)
    Devil  7
    Little 6
    Bad, Evil  3
    Black 3
    Fur, Furry 3  (Eifel und Mosel,  Baden, Pfalz und Saar),
    Raw., Harsh 3
    Short Beard, Little Beard, Goatee 3  (diminutive of Bartholomew)
    Ashes, Dirty 2
    Beating 2
    Bogeyman 2
    Hans 2   (German nickname for Old Nick)
    Sack   2
    Stinky 2

        As Ron has already noted, names for these characters beginning with
Pelz/Belz   (fur, furry) are concentrated in the Rhine Valley of
southwestern
Germany.    Folklorist Alfred L. Shoemakers states in Christmas In
Pennsylvania: A Folk-Cultural   Study (1959; reissued 1999 with foreword and
afterword by Don Yoder) that the    Pennsylvania German custom of
Belsnickling originated in the Rhineland and that it is     historically
associated with the so-called "Gay Dutch" gemütlich  Reformed and   Lutheran
churches, who festively celebrated Christmas, unlike the puritanical "Plain
Dutch" (Amish, Mennonites). (xiii).

        Henry Harbaugh (1817-1867), a minister of the Reformed Church and
author of   Star Of Bethelem: A Christmas Story For Good Children  (1862),
vividly describes the   Pelznickel in early nineteenth rural Pennsylvania
German Christmas festivities:

    O kennscht du den wieschde, den gaschtische Mann?
            Hu! Darf mer den Kall en Mensch heesse?
    Ya, ass er en Mensch iss maag glaawe wer kann,
            Er guckt mir zu viel wie der Beese!
    "Seh yuscht mol sei Aage, sei Naas---alle Welt!
            Er dutt's Maul uff un zu wie die Scheere;
    En Schwans wie'n Ochs, ys, des hot er, gelt?
            Un en haaricher Bels wie die Baere.
    "Kummt der in dei Haus, dann gebt's Laerme genunk,
         Er sucht die nixnutziche Kinder!
    Un finnt er eens, geht er uff eemol zum Punkt,
            Un dengelt gaar bummrisch die Sinder.
    "Er schtellt sich do hie mit der farchbaare Ruud,
            Un brummelt sei drohende Reede;
    Do waare die Kinner uff eemol arrig gut
            Un fange recht hefdich aa beede!
    "Waar eens, wie's manchmol der Fall iss, recht knitz;
            Wollt die Fitz der Mudder verschpettle;
    Ich wett, es lacht net vor der Belsnickelfitz---
            Es dutt um gut Wedder gschwinnt bettle.
    "Nau schiddelt der Belsnickel grausam sei Sack,
            Raus falle die Kuche un Keschde;
    Wer gut iss, kann lese; wer schlecht iss, dann wack!
            Des schmiert er mit Fitzeel zum Beschde.
    "Vum Belsnickel hawwich nau ebbe gelannt,
            Des waer ich aa nie net vergesse:
    Noochdem dass mer seeht, watt eem aa in die Aernt
            Die Frucht vum seim Waerk ausgemesse!"

    "Oh, do you know that ugly, that nasty man?
    Wow! Can you call that fellow a human being?
    Yes, that he is a human, may be believed by whomever wants to,
    He looks to me too much like the devil!

    "Just look at his eyes, his nose---wow!
    He opens and closes his mouth like shears;
    A tail like an ox, yes, that he has, right?
    And a hairy pelt like the bears.

    "If he comes into your house, there'll be noise enough,
    He seeks out the bad children!
    And if he finds one, he get right to the point,
    And beats, very badly, the sinners.

    "He stands there with that terrible whip,
    And grumbles his threatening speech;
    The children suddenly become very good
    And begin to pray mightily!

    "If one of them, as is sometimes the case, was right mischievous;
    Wanted to mock his mother's whip;
    I bet he won't laugh at Belsnickel's whip---
    He quickly begs for good weather.

    "Now Belsnickel shakes his bag terribly,
    Out fall the cakes and chestnuts;
    Whoever is good can pick them up; whoever is bad, then whack!
    He flogs him thoroughly."

    From the Belsnickel I have now learned something,
    I will never forget it:
    After you sow, then in the harvest
    The fruit of your work is meted out!

    (Source: The Pennsylvania German Society --- Pennsylvania German Dialect
    http://www.pgs.org/dialect/12_16_99.asp)

    (Excerpted from Professor. Earl C. Haag's Pennsylvania German Column, Es
Neinuhr Schtick, which  appears weekly in  several Schuylkill County
community newspapers, The Call, The Press-Herald and    the West Schuylkill
Herald.. Recently retired, Professor Haag served as Associate Professor of
German  and English Composition at the Pennsylvania State University,
Schuylkill Campus. Author of A  Pennsylvania German Reader and Grammar
(1982), he edited A Pennsylvania German Anthology (1988),   and compiled the
recently-published One Hundred Years: An Index of Publications of The
Pennsylvania    German Society.)

    Happy holidays, everyone! All the best, Richard Blaustein

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Folklore

Thanks for your interesting contributions (above), George and Richard.

I suppose that folk etymology as genesis or reinforcement of some
folkloristic features is a possibility, where foreign words or names came to
be reanalyzed on the basis of native names and words; e.g., Hebrew _be`el
z(e)Hûbh_ ("fly master", "lord of the flies" = taboo replacement for
_sheytân_ 'Satan') > Greek _beelzeboub_ > German _Belzebub_ ['bEltz at bu(:)p],
perhaps misinterpreted to contain German _Pelz_ [pElts] (also _Belz_ in some
dialects, due to southern /b/ and /p/ variation) 'fur', '(animal's) coat'
and _Bub_ [bu(:)p] ~ _Bube_ ['bu:b@] '(naughty) boy', 'lout' (etymologically
linked with English _babe_ and _baby_).  Something like this could apply
also in the case of _Nikolaos_ and *_nik(l)_.

From: Jacobus Le Grange <legrangej at ananzi.co.za>

Dag s aan al die Laelanders

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:13:22 -0800
 Marcel Bas wrote:

> From: Marcel Bas mrbas_26 at hotmail.com
> Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2002.12.13 (01) [A/E]
>
> Haai Elsie,
>
> Jy wonder of my bewering dat die  Afrikaanse woord
> _nikker_ 'duiwel'
> beteken, korrek is. Ek het vir bevestiging in die
> Handwoordeboek van die
> Afrikaanse Taal (HAT) gesoek vir die woord en daar staan:
> "nikker - bose
> gees. Mv. 'nikkers'." Dus die betekenis is sowat
> dieselfde.
> Maar die woord _Niek_ vir 'duiwel' is darem ook
> interessant.
>
> Groetnis, Marcel.
>
> This made me go to various dictionaries - The Readers
Digest Afrikaans/English dictionary gives - nikker - a nix,
water-elf, fiend.

I must admit I had never heard of the word -miskien is dit
'n boekwoord of 'n folklore woord wat allenlik in
akademiese geskrifte voorkom. Nix is given back as - 'n
manlike water-gees en "nixie" of "nixy" as 'n vroulike
watergees of nikse. Dit wil voorkom dat die "nik" in
verskeie vorms opkom en as bose geeste deel van die Duiwel
se vogelinge beskou word of selfs die Duiwel kan beteken.

John le Grange