LL-L "Measure words" 2002.12.15 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Dec 16 02:34:03 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.DEC.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: corber <corber at shaw.ca>
Subject: mesure

Dear Lowlanders!
  Joe Stromberg asks if there is any reason why the US should adopt Metric.
I can think of one reaon.. When the US citizens travels to other countries
on business or pleasure ,they would better understand the values of goods
and distances between cities or the heights of mountains..Of course Joe is
right that Metric will never happen in the US unless it is legislated . In
Canada metrication stalled when a far right government was elected,who had
promised to kill it,but could or would not ...It's use is increasing slowly
and will continue more quickly once the over 60 people are gone ... Enjoy
the season....Cornelius Bergen

From: bowman <bowman at montana.com>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2002.12.15 (01) [D/E/German]

At 12:31 AM 12/16/2002 -0800, Joe Stromberg wrote:
>If we ever do need the metric system, it will be adopted gradually through
>normal market decisions. No politician will have to lift a finger.

There wasn't much of a market decision about the 750 ml 'fifth' of whisky.
The BATF said, "Thou shalt" and the liquor and wine bottlers obeyed.

[Robert Bowman]