LL-L "Measure words" 2002.12.16 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Dec 16 21:46:29 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.DEC.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Measure words" 2002.12.16 (01) [A/E]

First of all, I'll have you all know that my husband's shoe size is an
average 42 - that's a men's 11 or 12 in America. That's another one I never
understood, by the way: different shoe sizes for men and women?! And his
foot is exactly 25 centimeters long - ten inches, that is (I just measured -
he was somewhat puzzled). Maybe it's just that men like to exaggerate the
size of their feet - like the size of the fish they catch. ;-)

Ross wrote:
> And, by the way, Gabby, I am eighth-generation American, with
> ancestors who fought in the American Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War,
> WWI, and WWII, Korea, and I myself fought in Viet-Nam, all for the right
> use what we choose.  Long-live the REAL Freedom of Choice!

Yes, Ross, that exactly was my point - for those wars also represent a big
part of the American "national identity", just like Thanksgiving, apple pie
and the measuring system (and also counting generations, which Europeans
seldom do since it would be rather pointless). It all comes as one big,
all-included package. There seem to be no rational reasons for such an
ecclectic mix of various non-decimal measuring systems. But I can fully
understand how one would strive to keep it because it also means part of
one's personal identity - something that has always been there, and that
you've used all your life. It's probably comparable to changing over to the
Euro - which to most people means a personal loss of sorts, since an
integral part of their lives, their familiar national currency, has been
taken from them.

Fighting in Vietnam does not exactly sound like a choice to me, however,
even if they made you believe it was for a good cause. This is a tragedy
that happens again and again, all over the world. Never trust a government
of any kind that feels the urge to TELL you that it's freedom you're
enjoying.
As to the REAL freedom of choice: Butterfly ballot!!

I'm going to shut up now and stick to that good old Lower Saxon saying (to
get this back on track):

Suup di duhn
un freet di dick
un hool din Muul
van Politik!

Gabriele - please never, ever call me Gabby - Kahn