LL-L "Measure words" 2002.12.16 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 17 00:52:13 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.DEC.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: rossmay <rossmay at bellsouth.net>
Subject: LL-L "Measure words" 2002.12.16 (05) [E]

Gabrielle wrote:  "Please don't call me "Gabby" or words to that effect.
Therefore I will not.

             Most of the statements which she made, I disagree with, both in
fact and spirit, so I will not pursue that thread since I am to the right of
Attilla the Hun and she, to the left of Trotsky.  Sobeit.  Oh, by the way, I
understand Persian (Farsi) but not the language that she put at the bottom
of the text.  Exactly what did it say and in which language.  It looks
Germanic.  I can read Old English, but only a few words of that text, and
that I probably interpret incorrectly.
              But, getting back to the thread, I will try not to make any
more side-trips, unless someone else decides to be a sharpshooter.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Measure words

All right then, folks.  And now we're going to bury this hatchet, at least
*on* the List.

Cheers!

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Measure words" 2002.12.16 (01) [A/E]

To Ian Parsley

I am vaguely aware of archaic measuring systems retaining some usage in my
village in Westphalia but I had little to do with them.  For example, I
recall land being measured in a unit called, I think, a Morgen, rather than
a Hektar.  My father had a Zollstock, which measured in units much larger
than centimeters.

Tom Byro