LL-L "Measure words" 2002.12.17 (01) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 17 15:42:06 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.DEC.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net *  Encoding: Unicode UTF8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
                  V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: j_thole at ftml.net j_thole at ftml.net
Subject: LL-L "Measure words" 2002.12.16 (07) [E]

> From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Measure words" 2002.12.16 (01) [A/E]
>
> To Ian Parsley
>
> I am vaguely aware of archaic measuring systems retaining some usage in
> my
> village in Westphalia but I had little to do with them.  For example, I
> recall land being measured in a unit called, I think, a Morgen, rather
> than
> a Hektar.

Thanks for the reminder! A great-uncle of mine always spoke about a
"morgen" land too. I don't know how many square meters his "morgen" was.
Another old unit I recall is "bunder". FWIW, my family (from that side)
originates from Drenthe, in the Netherlands.

Johan Thole