LL-L "Language change" 2002.12.17 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Dec 18 00:52:41 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.DEC.2002 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net *  Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
                  V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Jim Krause <sodshanty at hotmail.com>
Subject: A Curious English Contraction-

This was touched upon briefly by Harlan Ross May when he wrote
"Others such as 'aren't I ?' in place of 'ain't I ?' (the
correct one is much worse than the vulgar one.   But that's a new thread."

This brings up a question that I have always had since I was in gradeschool.
Why was ain't considered substandard English?  Also, am I mistaken in my
belief that ain't is a contraction of am not?  It always appeared to me that
ain't was a particularly useful word and it belonged in proper usage, such
as "I ain't going Christmas shopping today."  But it would be incorrectly
used, following my logic in the sentence "You ain't going Christmas shopping
today."  Any thoughts?
Jim Krause

p.s. The closing "As Always, Your Obedient Servant" is a historical closing
from the period of late 1700 through the mid-1800's.  It was probably the
most common closing used to end letters.  Lewis and Clark both used this
closing in many letters they penned just prior to the expedition.  It shows
the courtesy and respect used by people of the time.