LL-L "Orthography" 2002.12.22 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Dec 22 22:02:42 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.DEC.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: rossmay <rossmay at bellsouth.net>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2002.12.22 (03) [D/E]

Madam Christine has used a complicated analysis, which I did not seek to do,
to say the same thing that I said in common tongue.
That is, that "Ye Old Ale House" is pronounced "The Old Ale House"  and not
the archaic "Ye" (a pronoun) of the Bible which most English speaking people
use.  You are a fine philologist, Christine as opposed to me,  an ordinary
"linguist".  My hat is off to you.  I was also corrected on "Segway" and
since I had only heard it vocally, I spelled it the way it sounds, (
definitely a new English word now ) and spelled that way by the uninformed
of ther eastern parts of the country, where it only recently filtered as an
expression.  I stand corrected.

   Harlan Ross May
   Gulfport, Mississippi, USA