LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.12.29 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Dec 29 22:57:16 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.DEC.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Ole Stig Andersen <osa at olestig.dk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.12.28 (02) [E]

CORRECTION

I mistakenly attributed the quote

> 200 years ago many a Danish person would have begged to differ at the
> existence of a separate Norwegian language. Nowadays there is no
> question of it.

to Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleemin.fsnet.co.uk>

The real author was Dan Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>

My apologies to you both and y'all.

Ole Stig

MY MSG SHOULD HAVE READ:

> From: Dan Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com >

> 200 years ago many a Danish person would have begged to differ at the
> existence of a separate Norwegian language. Nowadays there is no
> question of it.

This is absolutely correct, but not quite to the point, I think.
It should have been double bad:

> 200 years ago many a NORWEGIAN person would have begged to differ at the
> existence of a separate Norwegian language. (Nowadays there are several.)

Right on!

Ole Stig Andersen
http://www.olestig.dk/english

----------

From: rossmay <rossmay at bellsouth.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2002.12.28 (05) [E]

Ron asked when the Gaelic tongue was banned or outlawed.  Between 1695 and
about 1725, after the Jacobite uprising was put down by the English
Government and the Clans loyal to England, it was outlawed and all schools
that were erected thereafter sought to erase the tongue, and succeeded in
most parts of Scotland except the highlands controlled by the MacDonalds,
who were at times almost a country unto themselves.  This could be why it is
spoken in those same areas today.   During much of that time George I was
probably the English monarch.  And I suppose that the language was outlawed
because of the Jacobites, whom England and the Whig government did not want
to see active again.    Harlan Ross May

----------

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleemin.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: "Frisians"

Lowlanders,

Some time ago a question was raised on the list: Why is the English
language so like Frisian, when Frisian presence in Britain seems to
have gone unrecorded?

I was recently thinking about the Venerable Bede, and while I'm
mostly ignorant about his life, I do remember that there's a certain
mystery about where his name came from. As I recall, the only
other known "Beda" was named on a stone column listing members
of a Frisian regiment that came over to help hold back the Picts
(or something - like I said, this is not my subject).

Is it possible that Bede himself was of Frisian descent? Bede was
the first person to translate the Bible into a form of English. Is it
possible that Bede's translation was strongly influenced by Frisian
and that subsequent English writings were strongly influenced by
Bede's translation?

(Actually, a certain member of the family is looking over my shoulder
and strongly objecting to some of the assertions I'm making here,
but anyway, though this isn't something I know much about, I thought
it might be worthwhile to put the subject up for discussion amongst
the more knowledgeable!)

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/