LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.12.30 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Dec 30 19:32:24 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.DEC.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
                  V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: rossmay <rossmay at bellsouth.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.12.29 (01) [E]

Madam Gabrielle wrote the following in response to my saying that I am proud
of my ancestors:

"Now, this is a concept I have great difficulties with, since, on the few
occasions where I am truly "proud" of a person or a people on the whole,
this is about their very own general achievements and (peaceful) attitudes.
Even if they happen to be related to me, I don't see how that would make me
feel like I'm a better person by proxy. Everybody is responsible for their
own actions, and if perhaps I had a great-grandfather who was considered a
hero, that would be something for him to be proud of, not me. As a
biologist, I fail to see how glory could be passed on genetically."

          I can understand why this concept would be difficult for some to
understand, and one has my deepest sympathy.  Perhaps it is genetic, but as
a biologist, you would be obligated to say that attitudes cannot be handed
down through generations. As a philosopher, I would say that it can and has.
To look with pride upon one's own personal accomplishments is gross
pretentionsness. But the pride of a people is something greater than self.
However, Robert Frost, the American poet, said it best:

                            " Nothing to look backward with pride, and
nothing to look forward to with hope" (in "Home Burial")

          I would feel empty if I couldn't look backwards to the
accomplishments of others with pride, nor foward to the accomplishments of a
nation with hope.

           Proud I remain, and with pride I look forward.  That is why one
defends his heritage to the last drop of blood.  The Scots had it, and thank
God they did.   They didn't get that pride "by proxy".

            But then, again,  that is why some nations  can never rise above
their own passiveness.  They are satisfied with mediocrity, and lack that
indefinable feeling called, for lack of a better name, "pride".  If you
can't conceive it, you can't really understand it.

           Harlan Ross May
            Gulfport, Mississippi, USA