LL-L "Currency" 2002.02.05 (05) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 21:57:52 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.FEB.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Currency" 2002.02.03 (04) [E]

>From: "Andy Eagle" <andy at scots-online.org>
>Subject: The Euro [E]
>
>Sandy recently asked (jokingly) What's that in Euros?
>
>I recently read something about whether the plural of Euro is Euros.
>According to the folk at the ECB its Euro in both the singular an
>plural....
>How is this new word affecting other Lowlands languages?
>
>Further more many coins in the previous currencies had names for them.
>Are
>there signs that these names are being applied to the new coins in
>popular
>speech.
simply saying the price.

>On saturday I was asked for a 'Groschen' 10c previously 10 Pfennig.
>
>Any observations?
>
>Andy Eagle

Hello Andy, hello Lowlanders !
In the february issue of  "Ostfriesland Magazin", an Eastern Friesland
monthly magazine, I found the following nice proposal for naming the Euro-
coins posted by Johannes Diekhoff:
(quote) ...Mien Idee un Vörslag för de oostfreeske Namen is disse: För uns
is de Cent en neje oostfreeske Penning. So hollen wi de in Ehren! Wieder
kann dat gahn mit: Twennels (2 Cent), en Fievje (5 Cent), en Grosken (10
Cent), en Dübbeltje (20 Cent), en Halve (50 Cent). Man de kunnen wi ok Mark
nömen! Denn bleev so - as de Grosken - ok disse Naam in de Welt! Nu kummt
en Dicke (1 Euro), umdat he dicker is as all de eerst genöömten, un an de
Topp van de Münten steiht en Daler (2 Euro). Ja, ok de olle Daler kriggt
weer en Kans, de ja al de Dollar siet 1792 sien Naam gaff.
[My idea and proposal for Eastern Friesland LS names is this: For us the
Cent is a new Eastern Friesland Penning (pennenk [pEn:k] - after the old
currency unit "Pfennig"). So we honour this for the future. Further it can
be: Twennels (2 Cent) (the meaning of "twennels" is "twins"), a Fievje
(fi:fje) (5 Cent) (a diminutive form derived from fîw = five), a Grosken
(grosghen or grosjen - after the old currency unit "Groschen") (10 Cent), a
Dübbeltje (20 Cent) (dübbelt = double), a Halve (50 Cent ('n hâlw = half).
But the last we could also call a Mark. Thus like the Groschen this name
also persists. Now comes a Dicke (1 Euro) (dik = thick; 'n diek = a thick
one) because it is thicker than all the others and on top of the coins
there stands a Daler (2 Euro) (dóler - after the old currency
unit "Taler"). Well, also the old Taler that already gave its name to the
Dollar since 1792 gets a new chance.]
It is a pretty nice proposal but I don't believe that those names will
really come into use. Let's wait and see - maybe people find other names
under the conditions of everyday life.
And to the plurals: In German it is a rule that currency units are treated
singular like plural. We had a Mark and 5 Mark. That worked in practise as
long as just the higher unit was used (for example: 5 Mark or 5 Mark 25)
but if we also say the name of the lower unit this mostly became plural (5
Mark und 25 Pfennige). As a joke sometimes the plural "Märker" was used for
an amount of some Mark. With the Euro it is easier to follow the above
mentioned rule (5 Euro und 25 Cent). Different to that the plural is
correct if You talk about the coins. As long as we had the Mark we must
help us using "Markstück" (Mark pieces)because there was no correct plural
of Mark. "Ich habe fünf Markstücke" means "I have five Mark-coins". I think
the Euro has solved this problem and now it will sound: "Ich habe fünf
Euros".

Regards Holger