LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.02.06 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 22:12:13 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.FEB.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" (was "Morphology") 2002.02.06 (02) [E]

During World War II, there was a new one added to some plates.  The Germanic
animal name ,"goat", becomes "chevon" on the platter.  (Do "civilised persons
eat
goat?  Well, that's another matter, isn't it!)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Erek, you wrote:

> During World War II, there was a new one added to some plates.  The > Germanic
> animal name ,"goat", becomes "chevon" on the platter.

Yes, I've long wondered about its origin and don't find the word in easily
available dictionary.  Is it loaned from French?  If so, surely it isn't
Modern French, or is it?  There is _chèvre_ 'goat' and _chèvreau_ 'kid' (and
_bouc_ for 'billy goat'), but no _chèvon_ or _chevon_ as far as I know.  Might
it be Occitan?

> Do "civilised persons eat
> goat?  Well, that's another matter, isn't it!)

Indeed it is!  I don't eat goat meat myself, but I know that it is eaten in
many parts of the world (the Mediterranean countries, the Middle East, Central
and Southern Asia, the Caribbean, Latin America and many parts of Africa,
including South Africa).  (Isn't it also eaten in parts of Scandinavia and the
Alpine region?)  In fact, I read somewhere that the demand for goat is now on
the increase because the meat is supposed to be leaner than mutton.  There is
now meat goat raising going on in North America, Australia and New Zealand as
well.

I take it you meant to write "civilised with end quote and are aware that this
word tends to raise a bright-red flag (but, yes, that's another matter).