LL-L "Literature" 2002.02.09 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 01:56:41 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.FEB.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Anja Meyfarth <AMeyfarth at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2002.02.06 (04) [D/E/German]

Hello Lowlanders!

Jorge wrote about Till Eulenspiegel:

> A Braunschweiger born in the early 15th Cent., he became a famous acrobat,
> rope-walker, magician and general all around showman who dedicated his life
> to fooling people, until he finally was hanged for his pains.

In my opinion Till is "only" a literal person, he never existed.

> The Gutenberg archive contains a Modern German translation of the story
> collection: http://gutenberg.aol.de/bote/eulenspg/eulenspg.htm

This link is interesting, because th author who invented Till is named:
Bote.

Hermann (or in Low Saxon Hermen) Bote was born in Braunschweig, lived
their
all his live and worked for the town collecting taxes. Beside he became
one of the most famous authors of his time and region. He wrote t.ex.
some
books
about the city`s history. That he is the author of Till Eulenspiegel
is clear by the first letter of each chapter. Read them in one line and
you`ll get "Ermen Bote". Interesting enough, the first letter "H" lacks.

There seems to be no earlier tradition of this figure before the book
came
out in Lübeck in the 16th century. Maybe there was an earlier script by
Bote
in Low Saxon but it seems that it has never been printed.

Greetings,

Anja