LL-L "Expressions" 2002.02.10 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 18:33:53 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.FEB.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Subject: LL-L "Expressions" 2002.02.09 (02) [E]

On 10-Feb-02 Lowlands-L wrote:

> From: Anja Meyfarth <AMeyfarth at t-online.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Expressions" (was:"Resources") 2002.02.04 (10) [E]
>
>> (I'll not go into the nitty gritty here it would take to long.)
>
> Nitty Gritty? Sounds funny but what does ist mean?
> ----------
> From: R. F. Hahn
> "Nitty gritty" or "nitty-gritty" means something like "the
> (lengthy/mundane/boring) details."  According to my sources,
> it is a relatively recent invention, probably from the 20th
> century. As far as I know, it is used all over the English-
> speaking world, probably spread thanks to modern media.
> I wonder if its source can be found in Scots or in some
> non-standard variety of English. Or might it be based on a
> loan from another language?

Possibly cognate with nit-picking -- something
you do with children's hair, a fine-tooth comb,
and very good eyesight. [From "nit", the egg-case
of the hair-louse parasite, in turn apparently
from Old English "hnitu"; German "niss" = "nit".]

By extension: "nit-picking" -> fussing over minute
distinctions of meaning, etc.

Since the nit is the minute and detailed target of
nit-picking, one can see how "nit" -> "nitty-gritty"
for general fine "lengthy/mundane/boring" detail,
by whatever is the name for the process by which,
for instance, "dog" -> "doggy-woggy".

And, in my mind at least, the "gritty" bit always
evokes the way chickens constantly seem to be
pecking at invisible objects on the ground (but
in fact are often picking up little bits of grit
for grinding the food in their crops).

Partridge's [no pun intended] Dictionary of Slang
and Unconventional English is unhelpful, by the way.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 10-Feb-02                                       Time: 10:54:44