LL-L "Expressions" 2002.02.13 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 17:13:54 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.FEB.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Expressions"

> From: "Nigel Smith" <rnigelsmith at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Expressions
>
> I had interpreted Liza as 'telly' (Liza Minelli). Suppose it
> depends whether
> you pronounce Liza as [li:z@] (LEE-za) or [laIz@] (LIE-za) !

That makes more sense - I'd been wondering what "turning the
geezer over" meant, but if it means "telly" then it fits
perfectly.

> From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
> Subject: LL-L "Expressions" 2002.02.12 (04) [E]

> > Roger iron rusted - ???
>
> Rusted would be busted, I'd imagine, which would mean that Roger and
> iron somehow mean television. Roger could mean "jolly" but given the
> writer's preference for more colourful adjectives that seems unlikely.
> And I can't get telly from iron.

I thought perhaps "Roger iron" could mean "television aerial". "Iron"
could mean "aerial" in the same way as "claret" means "blood". Is there
a famous "Roger" whose second name rhymes with "telly" or something like
that? Is it "Roger Melly the Man on the Telly" in the British literary
magazine "Viz"?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he