LL-L "Language politics" 2002.02.14 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 22:39:26 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.FEB.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Marco:

> There are still a few days left to sign this petition. You can sign it
> at http://www.scez.nl/forms/zeeuws.htm. You'll find more info about it
> on www.scez.nl and on the 'Zeêuwse Taelsite', > www.amaai.nl/zeeuws/index.html.

> Ron asked about the petition for the recognition of Zeelandic:
>
> > Would signatures from non-Netherlands citizens be invalid?
>
> This petition is a general pleading for recognition, so all signatures are
> valid. It's just a way of letting the Dutch government know that you > support
> the Zeeland campaign for the recognition of Zeeuws/Zeelandic as a regional
> language.

My message is below.

Best wishes!
Reinhard/Ron

***

To the State Secretary for Interior Affairs and National Relations of the
Netherlands:

Dear Dr. de Vries,

Although I am neither a Zeelander nor a Netherlands citizen, I am strongly in
favor of officially recognizing Zeelandic (Zeêuws) as a regional language of
the Netherlands, and I respectfully urge you to reject the Taalunie's
recommendation that you dismiss Zeelandic appeals for language recognition.
Recognition of minority and regional languages as recommended by the European
Union does not represent a threat to national unity, nor does it diminish the
power of the common national language (in this case Dutch) or the number of
its speakers, since virtually all speakers of such languages are and always
will be perfectly proficient in the national lingua franca as well.  On the
other hand, as can be seen in numerous instances all over the world,
non-recognition of minority or regional languages are likely to be a threat to
national cohesion because it brings about resentment and may even create
secessionist sentiments.  Thus, official recognition of Zeelandic would take
nothing away from Dutch but would further improve the image of the Netherlands
as a country that cherishes and promotes its diverse linguistic and cultural
heritage within the framework of national unity, thus strengthening the role
of the Netherlands as a model country in the world.

In my opinion and in the opinion of most people that share my interest in the
linguistic and cultural continuum of the Low Countries, Northern Germany and
the British Isles, official recognition of Frisian, Low Saxon and Limburgish
was a wise move and has put the Netherlands into an exemplary position,
consistent with its tendency to be a model for Europe and indeed for the world
with its progressive and compassionate social, regional, national and
international policies.  In fact, I am personally grateful for this, because I
believe that it has at least indirectly prompted the eight North German states
to officially recognize as a regional language my own ancestral language Low
Saxon (known as "Low German" in Germany) after centuries of suppression,
denigration and neglect.  As a speaker and writer of a regional language I am
personally aware of the pain and resentment caused by non-recognition and thus
neglect of one's heritage.  I am also aware of feelings of gratitude,
empowerment and national loyalty official recognition creates in regional and
minority language communities.  From my own experience I know that
non-recognition causes low sociolinguistic prestige, thus feelings of shame
and scorn, and this will eventually lead to language death and thus to
impoverishment of the entire country's once diverse cultural heritage.

Through news reports, personal contacts and by way of my role as the founder
and administrator of the international discussion forum Lowlands-L
(http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/) I am aware that the
majority of Zeelanders are in favor of official recognition of Zeelandic as
one of the Netherlands' regional languages.  It has been shown time and again
that the question "What is a dialect, and what is a language?" only serves to
confuse the issue and to stifle useful dialogues.  These days, most linguists
and language activists agree that an overriding criterion ought to be whether
or not the speakers themselves perceive their group of language varieties as
constituting a distinct language, as a mainstay of their perceived distinct
cultural heritage.  According to various reports, the people of Zeeland do
just that and ask for official recognition of and thus a token of respect for
their specific, regional linguistic and cultural identity within the larger
framework of Netherlands nationality.  I sincerely hope that you will not
allow the will of the Zeelanders be overridden by opposing contentions
submitted by any other interest group.

Respectfully,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn