LL-L "Etymology" 2002.02.19 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 04:49:17 UTC 2002

Sorry this went out under "Administrativa" by mistake just now.  RFH
 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.FEB.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: frank verhoft <frank_verhoft at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Beste Laaglanders

A few days ago I asked about the etymology of English
_to jump_ and MHG _gumpen_.

First of all, I want to thank Ron Hahn and Luc
Hellinckx for their answers and comments through this
great list (repeating this once in a while doesn't do
any harm, I think :). Van harte bedankt!

I also went to HEL-L (History of English) and that
gave following results:

1. Jump [16]
John Ayto, Dictionary of Words Origins
Until the early modern English period, the words for
'jump' were _leap_and _spring_. Then, apparently out
of nowhere, the verb jump appeared. Its provenance has
never been satisfactory explainded, and etymologists
fall back on the notion that it may originaly have
been intended to suggest the sound of jumping fett
hitting the ground (the similar-sounding bump and
thump are used to support this theory). And certainly
one of the earliest known instances of the word/s use
connotes as much 'making heavy contact' as
'rising': 'The said anchor held us from junping and
beating upon the said rock', Sir Richard Guyforde,
Pilgrimage to the Holy Land, 1511.
(sent by Julia Litvinova)

2. From the Barnhart Dict. of Etymology (we had a
discussion about the contributors to this & their MED
work a few years ago), for the verb:
Before 1460 _jumpen_ (probably with the meaning of
walk quickly or jump); probably borrowed from the
Gallo-Romance dialects of southwestern France
during the English occupation of that region (compare
_jumba'_ to rock. balance, swing; _yumpa'_ to rock;
also surviving in Sardinian _iumpare_ to jump).  The
word _jump_ may also have acquired an onomatopoeic
flavor which was instrumental in its borrowing into
English.  If _jump_ is of imitative origin, parallel
forms may be found in Middle High German and Low
German _gumpen_ to jump or hop, and possibly Swedish
_guppa_ to jump.
(sent by Juris G. Lidaka)

Any further comments are always more than welcome.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Frank Verhoft

=====
"De perto ninguém é normal!" - Caetano Veloso