LL-L "Pronouns" 2002.02.23 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 01:16:38 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.FEB.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Aviad Stier" <aviad2001 at hotmail.com>
Subject: pronouns

Ted harding wrote:
>Folks,
>In the dialect of the area of East Anglia where I live
>(North Cambridgeshire, West Norfolk, and probably further
>afield), it is common to use "that" where "it" would
>normally be used in standard English (i.e. with a purely
>referential, and not an indicative or demonstrative function).>

This reminds me of the strange system in French, where they use "ce"
("this"
or "it" or je-ne-sais-quoi) to refer to a noun that has been mentioned
before:
Person A: "Jean est un bon garc,on"
Person B: "Oui, c'est un bon garc,on."
("John is a good boy", "Yes, this is a good boy").
Not exactly the same as your dialect, of course, but then, French
doesn't
really have a "that" as in "That is a pen" (well, they have c,a but it's
not
used that way).
Aviad Stier
Brussels/Bruxelles