LL-L "Orthography" 2002.02.27 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 23:50:56 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.FEB.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Andy Eagle" <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2002.02.23 (04) [E]

> From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
> Subject: "Orthography"
>
> > From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> > Subject: Orthography
> >
> > Lowlanders,
> >
> > Sandy Fleming pointed out the predicaments one finds oneself in when
> > approaching Scots orthography (reform?).  In particular, he pointed out
> > that over time readers and writers of Scots have been conditioned to
> > expect the spelling of their language to generally follow English
> > principles, that this can interfere with creating a consistently
> > applicable system (alone for the fact that English spelling is, by and
> > large, inconsistent), and that, conversely, "normalization," i.e.,
> > increasing consistency, of Scots spelling may lead to
> > "un-English"-looking results.  Sandy gave the example of _rose_ vs
> > _roze_ 'rose' where in the latter the underlying /z/ is represented by
> > <z>.
>
> Ron,
>
> I've been trying to give some thought to what you were saying
> about this, including the suggestions involving silent "e", but
> I think I'm all burnt out on the subject of orthography at the
> moment - I just know by now that any sensible orthographic
> suggestions will lead nowhere because nobody will accept the
> resulting orthography!
>
> The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the ScotsteXt
> "Original/Edited" toggle could be used to try and familiarise
> people with a "sensibly weird" Scots orthography. That is to
> say, I could present the original text with traditional spellings,
> but use a radical orthography for the edited texts (presently the
> "edited" texts only contain grammatical corrections).
>
> Of course, this raises the question of how to devise the new
> orthography, but I suspect it will be easier to devise something
> completely new than it has been trying to devise a sensible
> spelling system that still _looks_ like the nonsensical one!
>
> Thoughts?

Many of the 'traditional' practices, similar to english they may be, are not
nonsensical. They are being used nonsensically i.e. in an unpredictable pick
'n' mix kind of way.
There are inherrent advantages in the 'traditional' practices. People tend
to recognise them. This makes learning and teaching them easier.
Unfortunately those who seem to have a monopoly on teaching Scots prefer the
pick 'n' mix approach.

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Orthography
>
> Sandy,
>
> > Of course, this raises the question of how to devise the new
> > orthography, but I suspect it will be easier to devise something
> > completely new than it has been trying to devise a sensible
> > spelling system that still _looks_ like the nonsensical one!
>
> How about considering for future reference (whenever you feel
> sufficiently refreshed) the maxim "Consistency over Looks"?  In other
> words, it doesn't matter if you use English-inspired devices or
> whatever, as long as the orthography is systematic rather than
> haphazard.

Just what I was saying Above.

Andy Eagle