LL-L "Etymology" 2002.01.07 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 22:23:01 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JAN.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: Hogmanay

I wish you all a happy prosperous New Year but I have a problem. Someone
asked me the origin of the word 'Hogmanay' and I honestly admit I do not
know the answer. If it is gaelic we'll leave it there but just in case
it
has relevant connections I ask if anyone can answer the question.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."