LL-L "Names" 2002.01.09 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 15:28:31 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JAN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: fr.andreas at juno.com
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2002.01.07 (07) [E]

Hey.
On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:31:17 -0800 Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
writes:
> Concerning the name "Walburga", I'm reminded of the Anglo-Saxon
> princess Sexburga, which means "Six Towns". I imagine it was
> envisaged that she would inherit the six towns belonging her
> family or something like that?
>
> It's always struck me as a strange way to name a child, but does
> suggest that "Walburga" might mean "Walled Town" or similar?
    And why not, Sandy? Walton is usual enough for a man's name here in
the Southern U.S. My wife even has a grandaunt named Spottiswood. It's
not uncommon here for surnames to be used as given names, and many of
them started out as given names originally, anyway.
     And how about all those Puritan names like Prosper and Diligence?
Let's face it, people can be named anything their parents can conscion.
And England has certainly set a few trends there throughout history. Of
course, Appalachia has too... what with Minerva and Ples and Delythia and
Docie, all relatives of mine. And these names stick around too! There are
three Clarences in my family even as I write. The first one was also
saddled with Rodalphus. He hated it so fiercely that we left it off his
tombstone. He named his firstborn Clarence Wilburn instead. Three
surnames. I got lucky.

Happy to be named plain old,
(+Fr Andreas) Richard Turner.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

I met quite a few people on my recent trip to Florida, many of them very
interesting and colorful.  Well, I went to what is called "Western Florida,"
the "Panhandle" in the far northwest, which would be the coast of Georgia had
it not been for some early European colonial wrangling.  The city of
Pensacola, where I stayed, is very close to the Alabama border and only an
hour's drive east from Mobile, two hours east from Biloxi and Gulf Port,
Mississippi, from where it is just a hop and a skip west to New Orleans,
Louisiana.  My point is that demographically, culturally and linguistically
this area of Florida is a part of the "Deep South" (and thanks to my stay I
gained much more appreciation for Southern culture and language).

One female in-law relative I met, a lady of around seventy, used to call
herself Helen when she was younger, but she has now gone back to her official
first name: Holland.

The most colorful and delightful character I met was a lady of about ninety,
who has nine children ("chirren" ['tS`Ir at n]), 22 grandchildren, 48
great-grandchildren, and two great-great-grandchildren.  (Some of her
ancestors were African slaves and others were Choctaw and Alabama Indians.)
Before she smothered me with hugs, she was introduced to me as what sounded
like "Rosina."  When I saw some postcards addressed to her I realized that the
spelling of her name was "Rozener," which pronounced with the local
(non-rhotic) "accent" sounds the same as "Rosina" ([ro'zi:n@]).