LL-L "Expressions" 2002.01.09 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 17:59:12 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JAN.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Expressions

Dear Lowlanders,

In some Low Saxon (Low German) dialects of Northern Germany we have the
expression _hoogdüütsch snacken_ or _hoogdüütsch reden_ ("to talk/speak High
German," i.e., German, _hoog_ [ho:x] ~ [hoUx] 'high' usually misspelled as
_hooch_ or _hoch_, as opposed to inflected _hoge_ ['ho:ge] ~ ['hoUge] and
_hogen_ ['ho:g=N] ~ ['hoUg=N]).

This expression can convey the following meanings, depending on context,
situation and tone:

(1) 'to talk/speak in German'
    (which may include the "mixed" Missingsch dialects)
    An alternative to this is _geel snacken_ "to talk yellow," which,
    however, may also denote the following 'to talk in a pretentious
    manner,' 'to talk in a sarcastic manner,' 'to speak invented/fake
    Low Saxon as a German speaker'.

(2) 'to make something abundantly clear (once and for all)'

(3) 'to talk seriously', 'to have a serious talk with someone', 'to tell
    someone off', 'to give someone a piece of one's mind'

(4) 'to give someone a beating'
    For instance, _Ik snack glieks maal hoogdüütsch mit di_ "I'll
    speak High German with you in a second" = 'I've just about had it
    with you (and will give you a hiding if you keep that up)', but I
    guess this could also be construed as a threat to get a good
    talking-to, depending on the permissible level of aggression in a
    given relationship.

Obviously, the foundation of all this is the association of "Platt" (Low
Saxon) as familiar, usually friendly, and certainly informal and
unpretentious, versus "High" German as formal, official, distant, serious and
pretentious.

I wonder if similar types of expressions are used in other lower-prestige
language varieties vis-à-vis respective dominant and higher-prestige language
varieties.