LL-L "Help needed" 2002.01.15 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 15:28:31 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JAN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ansgar Fehnker <ansgar at ece.cmu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2002.01.14 (07) [E/LS]

Dear Hyazinth, dear Holger
Thanks for your help and I am very pleased with the answers. First of
all, I am indeed from the Emsland, from Teglingen near Meppen. I am even
amazed that one (in this case Hyazinth) can guess where I come from
based on my name. But it is true, outside of the Emsland or East Frisia
people usually get it wrong.

But I of course mostly pleased with the answers. I asked for example my
mother, who speaks perfectly platt with our neighbors, but she started
giggling when I asked her. Some of my other sources preferred to use
"Fuulen" rather than "Laaien". Your answers at least helped me to
refresh my memory.

I guess I am going to use

  Et is better öm met 'n laaien te werken, äs met 'n dummen.

Thanks

Ansgar

PS: Holger, your translation starts with a "Dor". Has this an equivalent
in another language (that I know)?

**** Inspired by others Low Saxon I will give it a try******

Beste Hyazinth,
Ik had anners wel höpt dat er 'n Emslander op de liest sal wään. Moar um
er dan ook echt een tegenmöite te komen is wal wat biesonders. Ik kom äs
ik al sei uut Teglingen bi Möppen. Du kannst fast wal an mien platt
marken dat dat nich astrein is, moar dat kümpt nich alleen ömdat mien
öllers oltied hoogdüütsch met de kinners proberden te proaten, moar ook
ömdat ik een tied lang in Gröningen un Nimegen heb wöönt.
Ik hoop dat Du arig wat neijoarskauken had heft.

Loat Di wat en (wat an de loate kant) glücksäins neijoar

Ansgar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Help needed

Wellkamen bi Lowlands-L, Ansgar!  Ik bün blied' to weten, dat nu noch 'n
annern Neddersass mit daar bi is, de in Amerika wahnt.  (Ik wahn in Seattle.)

> **** Inspired by others Low Saxon I will give it a try******

Maal to!  Up düsse Wies' kümmst wedder rin in 't Neddersassisch-Schrieven.
Brüden dait di hier keeneen vunwegen Dien Spraakkönen.  Dat laat ik as
"Egendömer" nich to.

> PS: Holger, your translation starts with a "Dor". Has this an equivalent
> in another language (that I know)?

English 'there', Dutch 'daar', German _da_.  Underlyingly it is really /daar/
in most Low Saxon dialects, /dåår/ in the few dialects that phonemically
distinguish unrounded /aa/ and somewhat rounded /åå/.  In most dialects of
Lower Saxony it is written _daar_ in the German-based orthographies, in the
Lower Elbe area and in parts of Eastern Friesland and Oldenburg _door_ or
_dor_, and by many in Schleswig-Holstein (where they are more familiar with
Danish and Southern Jutish) _dåår_ or _dår_.  In the Eastern Netherlands it
tends to be written _doar_ or _daor_.  Holger's use of _dor_ in this
particular sentence seems to correspond to Dutch _er_, if I'm not mistaken.

Grötens,