LL-L "Resources" 2002.01.17 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 15:47:15 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.JAN.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: james34066 at cs.com
Subject: English Dialect Recordings

Hello Everyone,

I will very much enjoy going through the new links!  Seeing the new English
dialect links inspired me to inquire about recordings of dialect speech.

Searching the other day for possible connections to recorded speech sources, I
found that Routledge was apparently intending to release significant portions
of
the recorded material from the Survey of English Dialects project of some
years
ago.  I e-mailed them to find out when this would be released and how
astronomically expensive it would be (I feared the latter the most!), and
found
out that there was one more fearsome possibility--that the project would be
cancelled.  And so of course it was.  Astonishing, even if it is a rather
out-of-the-ordinary sphere of interest.  Especially from Routledge, they
normally
publish such wacky out-of-the-way (expensive) language materials...

So do we have to go to the British Library or the University of Leeds to be
able
to have access to any relatively sizeable collections of audio material?
Seems
like there should have been a phonograph series of dialect speech, or
something
along those lines, by this time.  Still, I guess people with such interests
can
always take comfort in being on the leading edge of something!  A leading edge
that seems to have existed for well over a hundred years...

If my well-laid (and poorly executed) plans had been enacted properly, I'd be
writing this in Scots or Plattdeutsch by now!

Anyway, cheers!

James Ward
james34066 at cs.com